• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Digital camera

It's time to purchase a digital camera and I have no clue which direction to head.

I have a couple 35mm film cameras and understand their workings but am lost in the digital world.

I would like to spend between $300 to $350 at most for the camera.

I guess what I'm looking for is advise on which cameras in this price range would give me the best pictures?

With that budget you're going to be looking at a P&S camera, unless you're willing to get a used DSLR. Among the advanced P&S in that range I think any of these would do the job:

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H10 $360

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 $320

Fujifilm FinePix S2000HD $270

Nikon Coolpix P80 - $400

I like Nikon so I'd probably stretch the budget a little and go for the P80.

The Panasonic cameras can take great shots, but generally need pretty good light, in lower light they tend to show a lot of noise.

There are probably hundreds of potential cameras you could get in that price range, I think you'll want to go to a well stocked camera shop, Best Buy, etc and try them for yourself, see how they fit in your hand, if it's to heavy or light, if the buttons seem like they're in a good position for you, and so on before spending that money. You don't want to blow $300+ on mail order only to find out you hate the camera!

John,

Thanks for advise. I spent allot of time with SLR's in my early days and did quite a bit of darkroom work as well. I just don't seem to take many pictures anymore and don't want to invest in someting I'm going to use 5 or 6 times a year.

I will take your advise and go to a good camera store and ask too many questions.

Dave