• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

northmetro hunting???

PmDavis300

There’s Carlos Avery near ya or you can pick up a map that shows public hunting areas. There are plenty of deer’s in there and some really nice ones too. I used to hunt public all the time and taking many deer on them. Best advice is to GET AWAY from the crowds. Most hunters won’t walk more then ½ mile from their vehicles. If you go at least a mile in, look for escape routes, get there early, pack a lunch stay in the stand while most people are coming in for lunch they will move the deer towards you! You’ve got sometime left to do some good scouting.

Good luck, be safe, hope this helps

i was there on friday from around 10 am to 4 pm around the DOVE FIELD i left at 4 pm and 4 vehicles pulled in with a total of like 10 guys that were going to bowhunt the area. I didnt see anything but there are ALOT of deer tracks in the area.

There’s Carlos Avery near ya or you can pick up a map that shows public hunting areas. There are plenty of deer’s in there and some really nice ones too. I used to hunt public all the time and taking many deer on them. Best advice is to GET AWAY from the crowds. Most hunters won’t walk more then ½ mile from their vehicles. If you go at least a mile in, look for escape routes, get there early, pack a lunch stay in the stand while most people are coming in for lunch they will move the deer towards you! You’ve got sometime left to do some good scouting.

Good luck, be safe, hope this helps

so are there any restrictions i need to know about if i go there for deer?

There are alot of out of the way areas to get to on Carlos Avery and many areas hold some nice animals. It is a shotgun only zone but you can legally use a pistol in this zone as well if it has all the legal specs of a hunting pistol. I believe it has been said but I'll repeat it again, look for the deeper areas of the woods where most hunters aren't going to go to set up as this can funnel deer by you especially during the higher movement times from 9 a.m. -2 p.m. Do your home work early, scout the area for deersign and plan on making a day of it. Bring, some pocket hand warmers, a urinal, food to eat& water to drink on stand and plan to sit all day, as this will increase your odds of success. Remember, what you pack in you must pack out, no leaving stands overnight. Don't be afraid to go deep into your area as this is likely where you will find the deer. Look for out of the way access points, know the lay of the land you plan to hunt and the boundries of the private property that surrounds it. Think of where the likely pressure is going to come from and set up your ambush accordingly. Most hunters will travel less then 1/2 mile into the woods so look for those areas that deer will travel when pushed. Look for shallow cuts between ridges or a depression on the relatively flat land. Look for oaks with alot of mast falling around them. Look for thick brushy or cattail draws that act as a funnel for escaping animals. Get an areial photo of the area or a topomap to help put yourself into position. Make sure you have a light portable stand and can carry enough clothing so that you don't stink yourself out of a potential hotspot. With some preplanning and a bit of legwork you can score big on public land but you have to be willing to do what the other guys aren't willing to do. Hope this helps, it is a great area but does get alot of pressure so do the homework beforehand to maximize your chance at success.

Tunrevir~

Great way to check out public hunting areas in Minnesota

1. get google earth

2. Go to http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/wmas/index.html and go to the bottom of the page and download the google earth application

3. Unzip the file and then double click on it when you have google earth open and it should load into it.

Another great resource: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/airphotos/index.html

I'd skip out on the circus in Carlos Avery. Sure, there are animals there but it sounds like a good place to get shot. I have no faith/trust in the people that hunt public land near large cities with firearms...for the mostpart. For every decent hunter there's likely a baker's dozen that are unsafe and/or unethical. I just don't see many scenerios with positive outcomes. I also don't like the concept of people unknowingly pushing deer around and discouraging diurnal activity. If I were in your boat I would take a few evenings soon and burn some gas. Dress nicely and cruise the most remote roads you can find within your range. Scope out private property and the perimeters formed by roads to get an idea of the size of the unmolested habitat. Knock on the door of every good looking property and get ready for rejection. Eventually (not all landowners are related to Shrek) someone will be open to letting you hunt their private property (assuming you sell yourself as their type of person). Carry some sort of drafted permission slip and get them to sign as soon as they give the verbal ok. You don't want them to change their mind overnight. I bet a little exploring and door knocking will land you in a more natural setting by opening day. They won't all say no.