• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2002 taurus

Hello,

I have an 02 tarus that has a squeel to it. I found that it comes from an aluminum looking piece attatched to the air filter tube; it attatches to the intake. It has the accelerator cable attatched to it. Any idea what the name of this part is? I have asked around and nobody knows. Being a do it yourselfer, I would rather not take it to a shop.

Thanks!

Does it sound like a sqeaking belt except you can hear it on the drivers side of the engine (chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp)?

If so I would bet that you are hearing the CMP shaft which is located right underneath the area you are talking about (3.0 Over Head Valve "OHV" v-6 engine).

The piece that the throttle cable is attached to is called the throttle body.

The shaft is only available from the dealer as far as I am aware. It will be more than $35 which is probably the cost of the sensor. There is a fair amount of labor involved. The plenum has to come off and the wiring harness needs to be moved aside just to gain access to it.

Exactly! Its just like a distributor and needs to be timed. In a pinch, once access is gained and the sensor is removed, the crank can be turned until the center part of the shaft lines up with the notch on the outer shaft. Install the new one in the exact same position and it will be pretty close. You'll know if your to far off if the check engine light comes on immediately. At that point you'll need to take everything back apart and align it with the tool.