• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Baby ski or pike?

wanger29

It's too young to know for sure. Pike can look like muskies when they are in the fingerling stage and vice versa. I know it looks like a muskie, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess pike, just because pike are in just about every pond or lake that has any fish existence whatsoever, and muskies, well, they are a rarity as far as how many lakes and rivers they live in.

thicker dark markings, thinner light markings = esox lucius

thinner dark markings, thicker light markings = esox masquinogy or esox masqui-lucius

you be the judge.

... also a pure muskie fingerling has a cream colored stripe on the back, and from what i know a tiger may or may not have one and be dark olive green on the back like a pike.

I sent a pic that looked just like that to the DNR to ask if I had a muskie in my little lake, and he answered that it was a pike, that they look just like that when small. There is a bar on the back, top, and I can't recall if it has the bar if its a pike or ski, but that was the main thing he said is the difference. I wish I still had the pic, but can't find it. Cool little guy either way though!

heres a pic of a muskie fingerling, note the wider light, thinner dark lines. can't see the top but theres a cream colored stripe on top. based on the pictures above, i see a dark olive green top, that is a northern pike. of course i'm assumeing it was caught here and not out east. i don't know jack about pickerel fingerlings.

on a side note, i got a couple nice pike and about a 41-42 inch muskie this morning.

Shedd_Muskie-1.gif