• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Does without fawns?

Has anyone else noticed that there are a lot of does traveling alone or with other mature does? I have seen at least 10 different does with no fawns and tonight I had a group of 3 very nice mature does pass by at around 10 yards. It could be just a coincidence and I never really thought about it until tonight when the 3 came by. Anyone have any thoughts?

Did ya harvest one? Thats the real question? laugh

Opener I saw 4 does and one fawn in a group. But I also saw a doe with twins(of which I did harvest that doe). After that I have trail cam pics of another doe with twins, and that same group of 4 does/1 fawn.

Keep in mind, some of those does you are probably seeing were fawn does last fall, and they do not all come into "season" or get bred. So I wouldnt be overly alarmed. Maybe you are seeing a bumper crop of last years fawns, who will all be bred this fall and really have some numbers???

hard to say.

I seen 4 mature does tonight with no fawns and one doe with a fawn. None were in range. A couple days ago I had a button buck all by himself underneath my stand for about 20 minutes. Maybe he got booted out already.

I too have noticed this in my area. Adult muture does with out fawns and they could not all be dry does. I also have not seen as many sets of twins this season. Not sure what the deal is but the fawn count for me anyway is low.

I did not take a shot but I was very tempted. The biggest doe of the group was by far the biggest doe I have ever seen. They came by early in the evening and I was waiting for that monster to come by that never did. I know in a few weeks I will be kicking myself but for right now I think I will wait.

On a side note, the large doe was by far the spookiest doe I have ever seen. I was sitting in a chair on the ground and she knew something wasn't quite right but even when an acorn would fall near her she would jump. The three deer were within 25 yards for a good 45 minutes but the whole time she acted weird. That is the best part about hunting. Being that close and knowing they have no idea that you are there.

Strats,

100% correct.

A doe has to watch out for herself and her young ones.

Thats no easy task.

To the previous posters, you have all mentioned "mature does" without fawns. A 1.5 year old doe is decent sized. And they wouldnt have fawns in a lot of cases just based on their age when the rut was occurring the year before.

It is not that out of the ordinary to see does without fawns, especially when a good crop of doe fawns from the previous fall just dont get bred.

I too have seen a number of "single" does this fall. I think biglakeba$$ is correct in that there may have been a bumper crop of fawns last year. (I know there was in my area). I think the stats indicate about 25% of fawns are bred in the fall. This could account for the number of does without fawns this year. The ones I saw were not big and I took them to be last years fawns.

Up north is a different story. Every doe I have seen has at least one fawn if not two with her or close by. Maybe it is because we are a few weeks ahead in the weather. I know it is only the first part of October but the other day I found a scrape and all kinds of rubs on the trees that were not there last week. Seen a six point in the field on the way home and his neck sure looked swollen. I had a doe the other night come blazen up to my stand and stopped directly under me. She was panting like a dog. Something was running her. Waited but never seen Mr Horny. Decided to go and buy a management tag so there will be no more excuses. Hard frost up here this am and would have loved to be on stand. Tomorrow they are forcasting the same things so plan on being out bright and early.

To the previous posters, you have all mentioned "mature does" without fawns. A 1.5 year old doe is decent sized. And they wouldnt have fawns in a lot of cases just based on their age when the rut was occurring the year before.

It is not that out of the ordinary to see does without fawns, especially when a good crop of doe fawns from the previous fall just dont get bred.

I shouldn't even post this but hunters see what they see. I have been hunting whitetails for 35 years and I know what a muture doe looks like. Why is soo hard for you to belive that there are muture does without fawns Biglake?? Sure you may have lots of fawns in your area,,, that does not mean they are evry where. We are just all stateing what we see in the woods and there is a big difference in 1 1/2 deer and a 3 or 4 year old.

And by the way early birthed fawns can come into heat the first year,,,,atleast thats what I have heard.

Just to throw more gas on the fire, are you sure those were not fawns with the does?

2 weekends ago I saw 2 does, or so I thought, until I got close enough to see the faintest hint of spots on the one. I am no expert, but is it possible they were does with very healthy fawns?

At least we can be happy that we are seeing deer.

No, there was no way that they were fawns. I got a pretty good look at them from about 10 yards and they were within 25 yards for about 45 minutes. Like BLB said, it could have been that they were fawns last year and didn't get bred. I just haven't noticed this many does without fawns before. Maybe I'm just paying closer attention this year.