• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Summer Ice Auger

fishingbuddy

1st time power auger owner this year so pointers are welcome. this may seem like a dumb question
BUT, what is "fog spray"? (I am not a Mr. Goodwrench but am not mecahnically inept either. have not heard of it)

appreciate the help
Stillhunter

Fogging spray can be found in the marine section of a store. It is a oil to help lube the cylinders when in storage. I also like to make sure that I have stabilized gas in my auger and then I run it out of gas and put it away till next year that is the best thing I have found and it works good.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

Is this recommended for just 2-cycle or can this be done for all engines? Would you do the same type of thing for small engines for wintering after a hard year of yardwork?

So is it better to use Stabil and leave gas in or to run the motor and lines dry when not in use for extended periods?

I always thought the thing to do was disconnect lines, empty the tank, reconnect lines, start the motor, and let it run until you cannot start it anymore. No old gas and mechanics don't gum up.

If you can drain it, sure. But I would still fog the cylinders and carb(s).

On boats and cars I don't drain, rather I fill it to the rim to avoid moisture build up. Then add Stabil, run for awhile and fog.

any local marine or sled dealer will carry fogging oil in a spray can. spray it into the carb while the machine is running that way it wall lube all parts of the engine from the crank shaft up. If you can get non-ethol blended fuel is best for storage. It has a longer shelf life. Not many fuel stations carry such fuel but you can find it. Kath on rice street has it. The station on broadway and I-94 has 100 octane ethol free, cenex in south st.paul on concord has it too. Personally I keep all tanks full in the off season to keep moisture from building up. just my 2ct's

------------------
ride safe, wear a helmut, stupid hurts

If you get'em serviced, wash'em first.

Some guys like to leave stabil gas in the tank some like to drain it. I personally like drain the tanks and running the small engine out of gas and then I choke it till it won't fire anymore. I used to leave gas it the tank but I always seemed to have more problems the next spring or fall when I ran it generally a gummed carb. This is just what I have found.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
iffwalleyes at yahoo.com

I use Amsoil 100:1 synthetic, because it has a fuel stabilizer already in it. I called tech service and said I have a bunch of premix I need to use and how long is it good for? I was told 1 yr!! smile.gif I can live with that. Also zero seperation in the jar so far. Thanks Al

------------------
Hey! My name isn't in the Obituary. Whoo hooo lets go fishing!
todaystackle.com

I have never drained the gas tank or foged any thing and have never had any probles in the fall when i start fishing i just dump the old gas out and put in the new stuff just
think about all the work i saved you..H.W

One other item you might consider before you put your auger to storage is to make sure it is put away on the compression stroke. An open exhaust valve and storage in a somewhat humid shed or garage would be a good way to get a little rust on the cylinder walls during the summer. That is of course if you do nothing with the fogging.

I used to fog and use Stabil in the gas every year. I had problems with it starting this year so I brought it to D-Rock for a tune up. I asked the mechanic about off season storage and what I should do. He didn't recommend fogging or Stabil. He told me that I should leave it just as is and try to run it once a month for a short period. He said he see's more augers in for tune-ups due to fogger and Stabil than if they were left alone and just fired every month. I'm going to try that this year and see how it works.

The Spook

I just run mine out of gas and then pull the spark plug, squirt in a little 10W30 motor oil, pull the cord a couple of times, and replace the plug. Smokes a little the first startup but it always starts.

I add Sta-bil to the tank and run it for a while, then drain the tank and run until it quits. Then I fog the carb and the cylinder and pull the cord a few times. I then grease the blades, and store upright in a cool, dry place.

I agree with that mechanic at d-rock. I like to try to run it at least once a month during the summer. Although lately i just add some seafoam to the gas and run it out in the spring and it starts right up in the fall.

Probably how you store may depend on where you store it. Mine is out in a storage shed of which is in high humidity during the summer. The handles even begin to rust during storage.Maybe some day I will get my garage.

I only use off road gas in all the small engines, I don't think ethanol is good for them.

We never had anything like stabil years ago and the engines used to do just fine, empty the gas at the end of the season and run the engine dry, then pull the plug and put a little oil in and pull the engine over once and store it till next season.

Ron

My dad's got a 20+ year old Jiffy that runs better than my first-year Strikemaster. He agrees with the mechanic from D-rock. Just run it a few times over the summer/fall, then put in new gas/oil every fall and it should be fine. Although I ran mine last week and it started on the first pull. Am I mad to be thinking about ice fishing already???

I don't know, maybe I'm just lucky, but I never fog, or drain the mixed gas out of any of my equipment and I've never had a problem?

We own and operate a lawn service and we have mixed gas for some of the mowers, whips, blowers, hedgers, edgers, you name it, I never drain and we have been doing this for close to 20 years! Once in awhile one of the pieces of equipment won't start in the spring, but neither will some of the equipment that other folks have treated!

Old gas, new gas, phhhffft, light a match to some old gas that has been sitting in a container for awhile and see if it does'nt blow you up and broil you, just like the new stuff!

Just like anything else, if you feel comfortable and more at ease doing it, do it! If not, don't!