• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

End of Season Marcum repo:

Jim W

ALl,

I'd have to say I was a tad reluctant to switch from using my vexilar this winter, but after some good use I was happy all in all with the MArcum LX-3!

Finishing up my hard water season on Buffalo BAy of LOTW, my Marcum was key during a negative bite!

The Jumbos and small walleye were really hugging the bottom not coming up more than a few inches to feed!
THe separation and fine tuning of the LX-3 enabled me to really get down to the fish and work them in the sometimes called "Dead zone".

This is just one example of my satisfaction with the unit!

For the most a flasher is a flasher, but Marcum has up'ed it one. MOre power and great fine tuning!

I feel more confident with my future success on hardwater!!!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

I ended up getting an LX-3 late in the season after surgery and didn't get a chance to use it. I want to put it on my boat. It will go in the front by the trolling motor. I wanted to put a high speed transducer on the back and run the cable through the boat, but thought the transducer might interfere with my Eagle Optima in the back. Any thoughts whether to put a high speed or a puck on. Thanks.

Just finishing up my 1st. year with my MarCum LX-3 and it has worked flawlessly all winter! 5 to 7 days a week!!
If you haven't gotten yours yet now is the time to start looking for sales.
A really GREAT fishing machine!!
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

I too bought an LX 3 and compared it to my Vexilar FL 18....it does have better separation and zoom, but the only draw back I have seen is it does drain the battery much faster....

I could fish all weekend with the Vexilar on one charge, but only one day on the Marcum.

Steve - here is some added insurance for sustained power. Check out this 9 amp battery for a great price....
http://www.batteries.com/productprofile.asp?appid=294033&prodid=14392&drilldown=294033&mfgdsc=&mfgcode=ALL&modelno=12V%2F+9Ah&groupname=Sealed+Lead+Acid&groupcode=SLA&SID=C63276036 84F4034A34D46CA12B939AD

Ok deal but then you pay shipping. I went to Interstate and they gave me a great deal on the same battery and they will back it up.
Plus they are only 1/2 mile away and I like to support locally owned bussinesses when I can.

Couldn't convince the wife to let me spend the $400+ on the LX-3 so I got the LX-1 for $270 at Thorne Bros. when they had them on special. The Marcum web site says the LX-1 is essentially the same thing as the LX-3 only without the battery indicator, adjustable zoom and soft carrying case. It is an awesome machine and I have fished right next to an FL-18 with it and the separation was far superior. I don't ever want to ice fish without it.

I've got to agree with the above comments. I was a little skeptical that this flasher would be that much better than an FL-8. But, my skepticism faded quickly. It was way better. Now to be fair, my FL-8 was an older unit, but the LX-3 outshined even the FL-18 during a couple on-ice comparsions. Not by a lot, but, as Jim said, it is a one-up.

The feature I like the most is the zoom. I didn't think I would use it much, but I used it a ton walleye fishing. I was pretty confident that I was seeing all the fish hugging the bottom.

Another great perk was being able to fish in bright sunlight. Sure, it faded a bit. But, I could still read it clearly.

No doubt, Vexilar will come back next year with an enhancement. And, that's the beauty of competition in the market. We the consumers are the winners.

Kudos to Marcum!

syd2nd
I just bought a trolling motor ducer at scheels in st cloud, they also have the high speed ducer.
the unit was 60 bucks, but has a bracket and a power cable.
as for use through my first winter, I was impressed, mostly how it worked in canada in deep water jiging lakers.