• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

3rd Base for 2009

Coach1310

In a perfect world would I like 30 plus homers 100 rbis and .325 ba at every position -- yes. Will that happen? No.

Let's be real here -- this is MN and we don't spend for FA unless it is the Vikings. Plus we don;t like jerk-baits in the clubhouse either.

I think the platoon will be ok. Not perfect or super, but pretty good.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets see game winning hit in the World Series, by a player with only 46 RBI's all year. Tampa gets a tying homerun from a player who had 48 at bats all year. I like the platooning Dahitman. There is nothing wrong with that at all. I would not want a team full of themselves thinking they are the best and there stuff don't stink.

G.C.

Let's see, how many home runs did the rays and phillies have this season during the regular season? You know, the preliminary part of the schedule that you have to take part in to determine who gets to participate in the playoffs. How about the other playoff teams? How about going back for the past several years and finding a trend that shows that teams with home run numbers similar to the twins this year do not participate in the world series?

I'm not saying having a 3b who hits 30 hr's gets us a world championship, but you darn well have to get into the playoffs first to have the chance to play in the series. Once you get there, it might be some piranha type player who gets the winning hit but again, you've first got to get there. Hate to have to tell you, but the road to the world series likely doesn't go through kc, baltimore, texas, etc. To get there, you've got to beat the big boys with the big bats first during the regular season. Then things have to fall in place during the playoffs for you to win and maybe the homers aren't quite as big of a factor then if you have strong pitching but again you've got to get there first.

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/chri...ption-for-2011/

sounds like they've made an offer to blake. I think this is an ok deal ***provided*** that they still manage to pick up an ss. It's probably wishful thinking but if they could manage to pick up JJ Hardie without giving too much up, I like the looks of their batting lineup.

He sailed alot of throws to first, but one of his biggest things wasn't getting the ball out of his glove quick enough. Honestly, I don't mind him, but his D could improve. I wish we would have hung onto Koskie, to be honest. He loves it here, married a local woman and lives here in Minnesota. He could hit, and had a great arm and glove.

Here, here to that. Koskie was legit. Maybe not a superstar like some here expect us to have at every position, but the guy played the "Twins" way. I wish they would've kept him.

You mean the "Twins" way as in not making it to the World Series since 1991?

Somethings gotta change some time..

"a lineup of .300 hitters that play solid defense."

There is no such thing. The very best hitting teams lead the league at about a .280 clip. .280 as a team means that some are better, some are not, it is an average. For every Joe Mauer, at .328, you have on your team, you will have a Lamb at .230, or a Everet at .213, or a Gomez at .258. Fans need to be realistic. In a low budget market, we live with a few young guys that need to develop. It may be at third base this year, then he pans out (or not) and the slacker is at second base, or whatever. Lots of guys on this site can't understand this. The Yankees with their federal deficit type budget don't have that. I don't mean to call out "greebs", his is not an uncommon sediment around these parts. Gosh, I thought I had lost my soap box for the winter.

There is no such thing. The very best hitting teams lead the league at about a .280 clip. .280 as a team means that some are better, some are not, it is an average. For every Joe Mauer, at .328, you have on your team, you will have a Lamb at .230, or a Everet at .213, or a Gomez at .258. Fans need to be realistic. In a low budget market, we live with a few young guys that need to develop. It may be at third base this year, then he pans out (or not) and the slacker is at second base, or whatever. Lots of guys on this site can't understand this. The Yankees with their federal deficit type budget don't have that. I don't mean to call out "greebs", his is not an uncommon sediment around these parts. Gosh, I thought I had lost my soap box for the winter.

Do you really think I meant "everyone"??? Of course there will be a couple that hit sub 300. But when you have 5 or 6 that do, that is what I am talking about.

so if you didn't mean to call me out, why did you? By the way, you are wrong in lumping me with anyone who may be saying that we need to pick up basically a whole new lineup. Maybe you should read my past comments before making that kind of statement. I have lobbied for a few minor changes including a right handed 3b who hits with a little power. I guess I can with tongue in cheek say that I'm not trying to call out the "cicada's" out there who seem to think that if we had a line up featuring nine Punto's we'd have three world series rings the past five seasons.

Oh by the way, what is uncommon sediment anyhow? Are you talking about unusual mud found at the bottom of the lake that is different than common sediment? (sorry I'm just a little testy today. stayed up too late last night)

Quote:
Twins re-signed infielder Nick Punto to a two-year, $8 million contract with a club option for 2011.

Punto flirted with the Phillies and Yankees, but he likes Minnesota and no other team was going to give him so many at-bats. He'll almost certainly be the Twins' regular shortstop. The club now has to go take care of some business at third base.

Ty Wigginton's name has come up in rumors as of late. I've heard it will be either the Giants or Twins. Who knows about these rumors though. If they are going to pick up a 3b, there's not a whole lot left out there. Beltre added Twins to his no-trade list so that hurts there and that leaves Wiggy and Crede and maybe Kouzmanoff. Given Crede's tendency for injury, playing on turf would not be good for him. I would not mind having Wiggy to play 3b and dh when they face lefties if they can get him reasonably. He's not a savior but he's a rh bat with some pop that I really really think we need if we seriously want to be contenders for something more than just the division.