• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

3rd Base for 2009

Coach1310

The 4 outfielders for next year wil be Young, Gomez, Span, and Cuddyer. I would deal Kubel. Kubel and a couple prospects for Adrian Beltre. Beltre can hit and has won multiple gold gloves. None of those guys on that list of 3B free agents sound to good. Crede and Blalock are always hurt. Put Harris at short or sign a free agent at short.

SS Free Agents

Willie Bloomquist (31)

Orlando Cabrera (34)

Alex Cintron (30)

Alex Cora (33)

Craig Counsell (38)

David Eckstein (34)

Adam Everett (32)

Rafael Furcal (31)

Nomar Garciaparra (35)

Jerry Hairston Jr. (33)

Cesar Izturis (29)

Felipe Lopez (29)

Edgar Renteria (33)

Juan Uribe (30)

Ramon Vazquez (32)

Omar Vizquel (42) - $5.2MM club option for '09 with a $0.3MM buyout

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Twins front office should say set and not sign anybody. Look at the years past and who they have signed for 3rd base, shortstop, outfield, dh to try and add HR's

-Mike Lamb

-Craig Monroe

-Adam Everett

-Rondell White

-Tony Batista

-Phil Nevin

-Ruban Sierra

all them have been the worst signings ever and what we get out of them? maybe 30 homeruns over past 3 years. Just stick with Buscher and let him mature and get use to playing every day. We don't need homeruns to win ball games. Just situational hitting is the key and thats what this team is best at.

For reference... the 3rd Baseman who will be Free Agents this off season:

Third basemen(age in parentheses)

Rich Aurilia (37)

Casey Blake (35)

Hank Blalock (28) - $6.2MM club option'09 with a $0.25MM buyout

Willie Bloomquist (31)

Aaron Boone (36)

Russell Branyan (33)

Craig Counsell (38)

Joe Crede (31)

Nomar Garciaparra (35)

Wes Helms (33) - $3.75MM club option for '09

Mark Loretta (37)

Fernando Tatis (34)

Ramon Vazquez (32)

That's an old crop of players.

Yeah old and a ton of injuries. WOW

There is no way the twins get rid of Young. He is young, really good hitter, potential for 20 homers, good arm, yet clueless on fly balls, just to much potential to trade. I would like to see Beltre or Blake. Cuddy was terrible at 3rd two years ago. Cuddy makes more sense as a back-up to outfield, dh, and back up to Morneau who should get many more days of next year, as we all saw his season ending output fall the last two weeks, due to being over used(man, I work 270 days a year, nobody tells me I need a break).

a big NO to Joe "i'll miss half a season,every season" Crede and Blalock (we will not be acquiring more lefties)

cuddyer has been tried, and was alright, not as bad as people think. and its his ONLY spot next year. when corey koskie got originally moved to 3rd (minors) he was awful, he became a gold glove caliber player. Morneau was not good at all defensively at first and now is the 2nd best fielding first baseman. with reps cuddy can succeed there, if he refuses..punch his ticket out of town. there is no room. Young will be in left, Gomez in center and span in right. Kubel DH's. thats whats best for the team if they arent going to go out and acquire a guy like Atkins.

the twins have (but wont spend) OVER 20 MILLION to spend. They could actually sign a guy like AJ Burnett and acquire a 3B, pay them AND keep this team intact for years. we cant just sit still and not make moves this year. This town/state wants and deserves a shot at the Series especially after buying them a new venue.

all them have been the worst signings ever and what we get out of them? maybe 30 homeruns over past 3 years. Just stick with Buscher and let him mature and get use to playing every day. We don't need homeruns to win ball games. Just situational hitting is the key and thats what this team is best at.

The Twins lead the league in hitting with 2 outs and runners in scoring position and it didn't get us to the playoffs. How mant HR's did the Twins have this year? 100 something? Last in the bigs. We need a power hitting 3B.

I forgot what beat us in the White Sox game.....

what beat us in that game was not getting any hits, not the one homerun they got. you find me a team who can win with just 2 hits besides the one gamew this year where they got no-hit against them but other team had walks and errors. i believe the twins don't need any 3B out there and stick with what we got and let them develop another year.

Let's face it...the Twins had a remarkable year batting with runners in scoring position (they batted over 300 +). It's almost historical numbers here. Don't count on this happening again. They need some power at the 3rd base spot and overall team power needs to step up as well or they will not contend in the Central next year. I like the idea of playing Cuddy at 3rd as well after seeing what's out there. I, too believe this is his only spot on this team going forward. Too much youth/speed/talent in the outfield to get rid of any of them. Cuddy can provide the right handed pop in this line-up IF he can stay healthy.

Oh, I'm sure the Twins will just plug him into 3rd base because everyone here thinks it's the only way he can stay with the team. After all, the posters on this sight have been dead on with every move they wanted made this year. Please read this dripping with sarcasm.

My point is the guys that think this is the solution to making the Twins win 90% of their games (this seems to be what they expect from the team), all they have to do is "simply" put him in another spot. Do you seriously think a player can become an all-star in a new position over an off-season? Because, if he doesn't, he will be crucified AGAIN regularly on this sight. By the middle of next year, they will be crying for his head on a platter. We have it good when rooting for our team, most here just wouldn't know it.

Good points...Seems this summer we wanted Monroe in left...just think where we would have ended up had that happened. laughlaugh

Or what about the thread to get rid of Punto?? grin

I am amazed the nobody has suggested Mauer at third yet. crazycrazycrazy

IMO the Twins don't need a whole lot of help at any fielding position. Buscher played great at 3rd and so did Harris. If they are looking at an infield position they could go with a Short Stop and move Punto to 3rd. He is the best defensive player on the entire team! Punto makes about 98% of routine plays and makes A TON of great ones. Cuddy is on a new contract so I don't think hes going anywhere.

It would make sense that Span and Gomez stay in center and right.

Young is a scary outfielder but keep in mind hes about 21 y.o. I would consider rotating Young, Cuddy, and Kubel. Having one play left, one DH, one sitting. You could also give Span or Gomez a day off more often and move Cuddy or Kubel to right and push Span to center on an offday for Gomez.

Basically the Twins are in a GOOD but Difficult spot. Too many good outfielders.

The Twins love building up young guys and I don't see a need to bring in a free agent that is going to fail as badly as almost every free agent has after Shannon Stewart joined the club.

Look from within and if trades are made, get some more bullpen guys..... Is Neshek going to be back in '09?

Buscher played great at 3rd and so did Harris.

Buscher played a terrible third base! He couldn't field a ball or make an accurate throw to first to save his life! I did like his hitting but third base was not the spot for him.

Harris on the other hand was a great third basemam. They should find a permanent positon for him.