• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

3rd Base for 2009

Coach1310

What kind of options are we looking at? Who do you guys/gals want? What do you think will happen?

I'm suprised Gardy is so in love with Harris. Not much of a hitter. Blasts one every once in a while, but a good fielder. All Buscher does is hit .300 and play average defense...not much power.

I'm not sure what they'll do, but I hope it isn't Beltre or Blaylock.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for reference these are the 8 main 3rd Baseman for the playoff teams and their stats..Just HRs and RBIs.

American

Figgins LAA 1HR 22RBI

CredeCHSOX 17HR 55RBI

LongoriaRAYS 27HR 85RBI

LowellBOS 17HR 73RBI

National

FelizPHI 14HR 58RBI

Blake LAD 21HR 81RBI

RamirezCHC 27HR 111RBI

HallMIL 15HR 55RBI

For arguements sake Those 8 average out to 17HRs and 68RBIs. It's not like there are a ton of 25HR 100RBI 3rd baseman out there. Not saying I don't want one, just not lots out there!

Harris hits a ton of extra base hits, and is an excellent fielder, I can see why Gardy likes him. BUT- we need an everyday 3rd baseman with 20+ HR potential and a decent glove. It wouldn't have broke my heart any if Koskie had never left. Now he will probably never play again.

When you add Harris and a whole year with Bucher, the numbers will come out just about where we want them...15-20 HRS and 80+ RBI. Not everyday 3rd basemen, but a good platoon system and both can come off the bench in different areas. The only thing we really need is relief and then almost everybody does.

I would like to see the Twins go after Blake. I don't know what his staus is but he's been a solid player for awhile now, puts up decent #'s and seems like he'd fit in nicely with this club.

Young was not terrible in left.

He did have 11 assists.

He played 151 innings and had 8 errors. Thats about 1 error every 19 games. Thats a feilding percentage of .973. Not the best in the league by any means but still not bad.

My guess is that Cuddy, Kubel, or Young is gone before next year. Gomez and Span are the future so they will be in there.

The only way I see them keeping everyone is if they are worried about durability or if they are worried about the young guys not progressing.

Gomez and Span could be future All Stars, I think we know what we'll get out of Cuddy year after year. Kubel and Young looked better and better as the season went on.

With that said I vote for trading Cuddy despite the fact that I like him and like having him on the team.

I am guessing that Cuddy will be here next year. He can fill in in right, 1st base...maybe 3rd and be the right handed DH.

If he can stay healthy.

Young could be the odd man out, especially if they can get a good reliever.

Also hopefully with another year under their belt, the starters can go 1 more inning per game and keep the bullpen fresh. Just hope that non of them do a Boof.

I am not saying to get rid of Young. He just scares me out there, His range is limited and seems to have trouble locating the ball right away.

Young Mr Young is just that young and needs some time to develop more in the outfield. Where did he play when in Tampa.

G.C.

I would hope they would keep Kubel next year, especially being he was #2 on the team for HR's this year. I feel that if he would've played everyday, he would have been a bigger part of the offensive production. I think he's kind of like David Ortiz, look what he did when he started playing everyday!!! As far as 3rd base, I like Harris there, but we definitely need to add at least 1 20+ HR a year guy to the line up.

Brian

My guess would be trading Kubel for someone if they feel the need to move someone. Wouldn't like to see that, but Young isn't quite polished enough to get much for and Cuddyer will now have health questions following him.

Remember, this was the rebuilding year. Next year they could be just a little better at what they do and how they play with each other, then the should be considered contenders for the new stadium.

We were blessed with a month of wins they weren't supposed to be able to get this year. All the while, they learned more about each other and themselves. Even if they hold tight, we can expect a little better next year. This year rally showed how improtant health is to a small market team. Through all the injuries, we only needed one more win. Could have been a Cuddyer homer run, a Neishek hold, or something that simple.

For reference... the 3rd Baseman who will be Free Agents this off season:

Third basemen(age in parentheses)

Rich Aurilia (37)

Casey Blake (35)

Hank Blalock (28) - $6.2MM club option'09 with a $0.25MM buyout

Willie Bloomquist (31)

Aaron Boone (36)

Russell Branyan (33)

Craig Counsell (38)

Joe Crede (31)

Nomar Garciaparra (35)

Wes Helms (33) - $3.75MM club option for '09