• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The things we learn

huskiesplayer15

Here are somethings i have learned this winter.
1. if it looks like the area around your house is flooded, dont punch a hole to see. grin.gif
2. When you go to bed on the top bunk, remember to have a ladder to get down.
3. A chair does not work for a step turned inside, it is a for sure your feet will hit the inside part, allowing it to fold up like a venus fly trap, in the dark, with the rattle reels going off.
4. the ice hole is a void that consumes everything, as an FL-8 will fit down it, as will a soup laddel, a glower attached to your neck, or your cell, and truck keys.
5. You always get bites when you leave your girlfriend in the house to attend nature.
6. the fish also bite when your cooking dinner or lunch or breakfast
7. A steel ice scoop placed between the legs of a person in front you will get you to the flag first. grin.gif
8. Tip-ups should be named stay-downs, they only malfunction when you get a bite. shocked.gif
9. if you see a few kids walking onto the ice with either a snoboard, ice skates and a big kite, keep your house open to watch, it will be funny.
10. on first ice with a snowmobile, accelerate only on the snow drifts, not in between ( sorry dad)
11. clipping the line on your friends reel three feet after the bobber stop and respooling it back on there reel is funny, especially when they can see the bobber sitting below the ice. unless its your rod, then its not. shocked.gif
12. When your playing a fish and you smell something burning, yes it is either your boots or your fish house canvas.
Those are what i have learned this winter's ice season, as anyone else learned anything?
Best Fishes
Chris

I'm shamed.

Obviously I didn't hit the ice hard enough this (past) season.

Now THAT was a funny list huskies. Thanks to you I now have next years goals in place.

------------------
SERIOUSLY! It was THIS big!

I learned a couple of things:

1) When the guy at the bait shop says, "Just go from the access, you'll see all of the houses. That's where to fish." It really means, "There are no houses or fishermen and the spot you are looking for is no larger than the lake map you should have brought. If you listen hard you can hear crickets..."

2) The nicest walleye of the day can bobsled down your leg and back down the hole faster than an Olympic luger (sp?)

3) A portable fish house makes a pretty good sailboard.

4) 2-year-olds think the object is to throw tackle down the hole when you're not looking.

5) If you leave a container of waxworms in the cupboard for a month, they turn into weird moths. My wife doesn't like these moths.

6) Some guys will power auger a million holes next to you, sit down, crack a beer, and watch you turn dark purple trying to hand auger an 8 inch hole through 3' of ice.

7) The first time you ever use a Vexilar every red line is exciting. 5 hours and no fish later, watching your hole freeze is more fun.

8) Sometimes as soon as the fish start really hitting, you realize you're fishing right on the donut loop of the track at the ATV/snowmobile speedway.

9) Usually the scary-looking guy ominously lumbering over to you on a remote lake turns out to be a jovial accountant who tells you the hot spot and lure for the lake--rather than the maximum-security escapee he looks like.

A couple other guys learned that if you can't subdue your excitement at finding a school of crappies you might just end up with me as a neighbor! tongue.gif

I can relate to most of the above. Here's a couple not mentioned yet.

1) Using tube jigs for Lake Trout for the first time this winter I learned that two lines let down at same time in holes about 3 feet apart in a portable will turn two seperate lines into 50 feet of the nicest braided line you've ever seen. (literally)

2) $29.99 seems pretty reasonable for one of those floating bags to put a GPS in. (NOW!)

3) A size 10 boot is the perfect size if you're looking to wedge something into your 10" hole. Works best with you foot still in it. Gaurenteed not to come out.

4) I'll be darned if that new portable fish house tow hitch doesn't have a swivel on it. (Said softly to yourself as you're turning the fish house back upright)

5) Long track good, short track bad. (Slush anyone?)

6) God bless them, but when the ladies plan on going fishing with you "first thing in the morning" it is to be assumed that "first thing" means after the following:

* A full breakfast
* A shower, hair drying, makeup, sun screen
* Deciding on which matching fishing apparel is to be worn.
* Packing enough food to feed an army
* Packing a lot incidentals not needed when
the guys go.
* One more trip to the bathroom just after fully dressing in all of the cold weather gear.
* Restating again all of the instructions to the kids not coming along on the trip. (for the 4 time)

Thank God for the afternoon bite!

7) That blank stare on his face means that the helmet you asked him to grab right before leaving the cabin means it is still nice and warm on the chair next to the cabin door.

8) Any beverage can put in the compartment on the back of every snowmibile seat will be empty and unopened when you stop every time.

More lessons next year I'll bet.

Oh i forgot some other ones, the two farthest holes away from each other always seem to catch each other, must be a gravity thing.

I have also had the waxie worm morphous too, expcet the maggies turned into flies, then when she dropped it we had a bug hatch better than what you would see coming off any stream in montana,

ANother thing i love is when you set the hook on one fish, your other rod goes down, so you instinctively grab that rod and set the hook, i dont know about you guys, but evolution hasnt allowed me for two extra arms to reel in so you lose both fish.

Or how things go in slow motion when it gets ready to go down the hole, it hits one side, bounces over the hole, hits the wall, and your like NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO, one more bounce in your hands, and plunk, I love it when it makes that slow enticing wobble on its way down.

Have any of you guys walked to your buddies house, say game warden, im here to check that extra bucket you got, you can be pleasantly surprised to have the door be opened to you by a nice man in green! shocked.gif

for you students out there, if you decide to play hookie, make sure your mom calls you in sick, or you do because it never fails, you will get a call out on the middle of weed bed hammering the northerns and you will get a cell phone call, saying hi, and you tell them your supposed to be in school rather than fishing, it is going to be the attendance lady, ( she's good at her job), and no she will not take a fresh meal of fish and no they do not like it when you bring the bucket into the office to ask her.

I dont know about everyone else, but i always forget things at the farthes point and most desperate part of the trip, your in the truck, oops forgot the cheetos, so you drive back five minutes get the cheetos, five hours later your on red lake freezing your tail off because you forgot the cheetos and the heater, but you dont remember the heater, good thing the cheetos were good. blush.gif

best fishes
chris

[This message has been edited by huskiesplayer15 (edited 03-31-2004).]

I learned to rewire my speakers in the summer, not while the house is on the lake and your fishing, I burnt myself 4 times in the same spot,in less than 20 min, trying to run new wires to the car stereo, behind the heater. Have a pretty good burn scar on my hand....

I learned that I can slide 50 feet in my portable during a windstorm. Also, black buckets in the dark are tough to find.

I also learned that dogfish in Long Lake (New Brighton) like to swim up your hole and stare at you in the face.

Oh, even though they are mostly plastic, jig tazers don't float.

Shorthead redhose can be caught through the ice...twice.

I learned that when fishing more than one line in or out of the house to leave the bail open on the one not attended.

Even in the excitement to get to the tip up.

Nice sound as your new rod/reel/lure go across your house and ploop right down the hole.

Then you see the bobber swiming away.

1. If you drop anything in a fish house that does not float it is guarranteed to land in one of only four eight inch holes in a space covering 64 square feet.

2. Forgetting the camera is the best way to catch a trophy.

3. Touching monofilament to a sunflower heater is good way to practice knot tying.

I learned that if you leave frozen smelt in the back of the car,they don't stay frozen in warm weather and they smell real bad shocked.gif

I learned that most of the time when you are fishing 2 holes next to eachother and as you set the hook on one line and you look over and the other line is going down, you then set the hook on that one too, the majority of the time you are fighting the same fish, but it always takes a good 10 seconds to realize that your lines are just a tangled mess with a 7 inch crappie one one hook, and your fighting yourself, instead of 2 monsters that you think you have on!!

Never get out of your fish trap if it is windy out without anchoring it to the ice, it acts as a better sail boat than a shelter!!

Always buy at least 20 clip-on depth finders, you will lose almost all of them, but not ever remember where or when or how you lose them

Everytime your buddy goes outside to take a leak, and he comes in all excited to say your tip up is up, you always get excited for at least a second, even if he does it everytime he exits the house, and none of them are fish

Just cuz you have 4 wheel drive doesn;t mean you can drive through anything

If you want to hook a big fish do one or more of the following first:

1. tie many unneeded knots in your line to make it weaker

2. make sure you hook is dull

3. forget the camera

4. make sure no one is there to see it

5. while fishing for a large game fish, use your jiggle stick with a #12 hook and 2lb test

6. try to do 2 things at once(light lantern and set hook, take a leak and jig, drink a beer, open bag of chips, and tie new jig on while jigging rod, etc. )

7. make sure you have to leave right at prime bite time, you will hook a big one while getting ready to leave

8. use the only rod that you didn't put new line on

9. leave for 15 minutes, when you get back, a large fish will have been caught in one of your holes

And finally #10. Set hook, think it is small and then hand rod to girlfriend to real in small fish which somehow turns to a trophy somewhere in the transfer of the rod

i need to learn more

JS

[This message has been edited by JiggingSpoon (edited 04-15-2004).]

I have learned that when sleeping over nite that the rattle reels do work and being awaken by them and not really reconizing what that sound is or where you are until the brain awakes gets me every time.