• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best choke for a good pattern

Not trying to start a Chevy-Ford debate on what gun is best but I think it could be helpful to share what choke and load you use with a specific gun for a good pattern at decoy range (20-30 yards).

I shoot a Gold with a 26 inch barrel and haven't messed with it much so I pretty much shoot 2's or 3's out of the modified choke. Tried the improved a bit last year but I found myself chasing more cripples. What have you all found?

Gold - 3 inch #2's or #3's with a Midas Light Improved (between imp. and modified). I like Remington Nitro Steel best, but shoot whatever is cheap. Just need to stay away from those Federal 3" #1's. They are horrible in this gun.

I shoot the same gold-barrel length. I found factory chokes worked well out to ~ 35 yds. I've got a midas I-mod for late/long range. It doesn't like 3 1/2 1 shot 1550 kents, but shoots 3" 1425 fps #1 kents great. It's a lot of trial and erro with a pattern board and paper. It's to tight under 25 yds to use all the time. Good luck.

well every gun is different, but heres what im running this fall;

winchester superx2 3.5" 12 patternmaster extended ported with fed 3" 1's and 3.5" bb's, or briley goose mod with estate 3" 4's and federal 3.5" 1's

browning citori field grade 12 skeet choke top barrel hevi steel 3" 6 mod choke bottom barrel 3" hevisteel 2

I shoot a nova with a carlson IM and usually kents 3.5" 2's or 3's. If I can find its the 1650fps kents. if I cant find the really fast stuff I use the 1625's both of these loads are great on geese and I try not to use the dueces on ducks, my pattern is good till about 40yds but usually never have enough ammo left in the gun when thier that far away.

I shoot stoeger condor 2000.. My gun pattern pretty good with mod. And 3" estates shot 2 but I can't find any of those shells in metro so I tried shoot 3" shot 2 blackcloud but it doesn't pattern good with mod, skeet, I.c chokes then bought a box of 3" shot 2 xpert and they pattern pretty much better than b.c. So I guess I l be shootin xpert for rest of the year unless I get my hands on estates shells.