• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

H2O GPS

MN Angler

Hey everyone I am thinking of picking up one befor we get the first couple inches. What does everyone think of this unit and which addidional chip/software would you suggest getting for it. Personally I have been looking at the hot maps which seems to be pretty cool. Thanks

MN Angler

Very happy with my H20. I would also look into a screen saver.

If your looking for an all around chip with a road map, go Lakemaster. Check out the lakes you will mainly fish and see what each map offers as far as contours. Some have more high def lakes than others.

I sold these units for over a year, and own one, so trust me on this: THEY'RE AWESOME!

If I can remember my old shpeel on em

1. For the money, nothing else comes close in screen size, with color, and being SD card (chip)capable.

2. INCREDIBLY easy to use, the buttons are clearly labeled, and I could teach you the basics of the unit in 10 minutes, and you'd be ready to use it for fishing, hunting, navigation, and anything else.

3. Lowrance has very good customer service, and I've never had any problems with mine.

4. One of the only units that accepts Lakemaster, which is also my favorite chip because:

a. Incredible detail on the lakes, the 08 models had 750 lakes, with 150 of them in HD, which means that Lakemaster actually went out and did their own mapping. Most of the other maps come form the DNR guys, or other pre-mapped places.

b. Competition: Your other main choice is Navionics, but at least with Lowrance, it's a pain in the a$$. On a side note, literally. For a chip with all of Minnesota on it it's $150 I believe, whereas the Lakemaster is just $100. Also, the quality on Navionics is a HUGE issue. I know guys that still use their 04 models, because Navionics actually removed content in favor of offering more lakes. With these chips, you always want quality over quantity.

c. Features besides lakes: The Minnesota Lakemaster chip comes with virtually all the roads in the state, and you can even put in an address and the GPS will create a waypoint there. The GPS doesn't follow roads or do turn-by-turn, but it's like having an electronic atlas in the palm of your hand.

Alright, well I need to get to bed, but I'll probably think of a few more things tomorrow. Again, I own the H2O C(color unit), and the 07 Minnesota Lakemaster chip, so this is a professional opinion/information, plus a consumer report.

H2O is great. For the price you can beat it. The color version gets a lot of attention, but if you are on a budget the bw version does every thing you need. I also use the lakemaster chips. My neighbor and his dad went fishing with me last week and we used the H2O to find a spot i located and used it to keep us on coarse. They both bought one the next day with the lakemaster chip. they never even considered other models.

Great units. I've have the b/w version since they first came out. Have used the colors ones extensively too. Both are great, if the color one fits your budget that's a great way to go and the b/w one will definately get the job done too.

I use both LakeMaster and Nav chips in my H2O and prefer the LakeMaster chip because it zooms in farther on the handheld gps, which is really nice when ice fishing. And the road and other detail is nice too if you use it for traveling.

The Nav chip works fine, although it's frustrating that it won't zoom in farther. It has many more lakes in total, although most of them aren't high definition so they aren't super accurate (they're basically as good as the dnr maps). That's the same as the LakeMaster chip, most of the maps aren't high definition, although LakeMaster does have more high def maps in MN than Nav does.

The real key to picking a map chip is to make sure it has the lakes on it that you want to fish.

I carry all these products on my HSOforum, if you're interested in checking them out or the prices just click the link in my signarture. Thanks.

I was also wondering how do you turn off the trail marker when you move your current position. I don't want that on there all the time. I am in the advanced mode. Is this possible to do or does is always show where you have gone? Thanks. kooba.

Go to the menu option for My Trails, then hit enter on Trail Options, then uncheck Update Active Trail,

The difference between Easy and Advanced is just more menu options and display screens. I leave mine on Advanced so I always have all the options available.

Great unit that does a lot! A tool that will definitely help you as an ice angler, especially when looking to take out some of the guess-work and track a hard days work. Not only is it an excellent tool for locating structure and finding the spot-on-the-spot, but its also a phenomenal learning tool. You can look back on a successful and see exactly how you broke down a piece of structure... and how you went about attacking that area (by saving your trail)...

I use the Navionics chips in my H2Oc. For the lakes I fish I feel that it gives me an upperhand. Don't get me wrong, I also have the LakeMaster MN chip with me, but for the majority of my excursions I use the Navionics North chip...

Thanks everyone for the advice, I believe i am going with the H2O C. I also feel that the lakemaster chip will be best for me. The only downside is I fish Rush lake quite a bit and its not in high def. How good are the maps on the lakemaster chip that are not in high def.

I would recommend the color version also. I would not get the hunt or expedition series for there barometer feature. I had bought the H2OC and returned it for the expedition only to find out the barometers don't work properly. I sent it in 3 time and it still does work. I have a friend that has the hunt and both of our units read the same. As far a customer service, anyone I know that has dealt with them knows it not top notch. There is room for improvement. I use the Navionics chip and I like it but it's a couple of years old and I will be getting a new Lakemaster very soon.

Navionics does a great job with Rush Lake in my opinion. That's one of the lakes I spend a lot of time guiding on and I couldn't be happier with the current contours and markings on the Navionics chip.

The LakeMaster ship does have Rush Lake, but it leaves out a lot of the important transition lines and markings. However, it will still do just by giving you the main holes, breaks, points, etc...

If you are ever going to be in the woods with it, get the Expeditionfor the 16 channel waas system, it will hold better satallite reception and it is worth the extra money if you hunt, not if you just fish.

Go with the lakemaster chip! It is FASTER loading, has a pretty complete road map of Mn, the lakes that are high def generally are the best. Go with navionics if you also need other states in the North.

If you are ever going to be in the woods with it, get the Expeditionfor the 16 channel waas system, it will hold better satallite reception and it is worth the extra money if you hunt, not if you just fish.

The H20C also has 16 channels, but the B&W one only has 12.

I recently picked up the H20c, with the lakemaster chip. I am unfamiliar with the use of the 16 channels that you guys speak of... could you please explain more on how I would use the 16 channels, and how having more channels would benefit? I am hoping to mark my treestands this weekend on the H20c, is there anything I should know, or any tips you could give before taking this unit out in the woods?

Jari,

I think the 16 channel info just describes how the satellites find you, not an option you can or would want to change. More generally means more accurate. It is easy to save waypoints like your tree stand and where you parked. If you go out to the woods often for scouting mark all the points where you see a deer/turkey/feral pig ( :D) and maybe you can figure out a path they take over time. Maybe even name the waypoints with other info such as what time you saw the animal there.