• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fuel filter for Optimax??

lookin4fish

do you feel it is important to run an external inline fuel filter for your opti's? i was wonsering how important it is, and if i sould put it on before winter to collect water that may accumulate over the winter? of course i will do all the other winterizing like stabile and such. what are your thoughts?

I run the clear plastic inline filters made by Tempo on every outboard, on the fuel line. All my motors have filters under the hood however I prefer an inline in addition. Don't have to pull the filter on the motor near as often either and risk breaking the plastic parts.

True DKF, but those inline plastic filters do nothing for water in the fuel...

marine_man

Replying to the filter part. There isn't really a good way to remove water from gas other than making it able to burn.(Nox-Ice, Heet and other water remover) If your worried about water over the winter, add some water remover before you store the boat and mix it in good. I always run Stabil in my boats all season long. Want to try the marine Stabil as soon as I can find it.

Originally Posted By: dkf
Replying to the filter part. There isn't really a good way to remove water from gas other than making it able to burn.

Isn't that what Fuel Water Filters / Seperators do?

marine_man

Your right, had a brain fart. I don't want the bulk and expense of seperator, water remover is easier and cheaper. Thought he was talking about a filter not a seperator.

So what is the marine stabil supposed to do more than the regular stabil?

Extra corrosion inhibitors and system cleaners over the red stabil. Supposed to protect parts better from ethanol and moisture. I'd post a link but it would get deleted.

i was on vacation, so i am just getting back to your responces. I decieded to put one on as a just in case item. wally world had one on closeout for $6.50 and filters for $1.50. pretty cheap investment if it will prevemt problems down the road. thanks for the input.