• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
FlatBottom

Ideas on how to cook my tom...

I was lucky enough to harvest a nice 25.5lb tom (field dressed) this spring and I was wondering if any of you have any good recipes to share. I've always just cooked them in a roaster and I was hoping to do something a little different and fun.... and hopefully tastey. grin Thanks for any ideas. I have to please the outlaws this Thanksgiving and I'm looking to wow them.

My buddy over in Wisconsin shared his rub recipe with me a long time ago and it was deliscious to say the least.The minimum time marinating in the fridge is 24 hours....my suggestion....30 hours.Hope you enjoy it.

Turkey Rub

25 bay leaves, crushed

3 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme

3 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano

1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper

2 teaspoons garlic powder

3 tablespoons Creole seasoning

In a small bowl mix together the bay leaves, thyme, oregano, pepper, garlic powder and Creole seasoning. Rub onto a turkey and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before frying.If you like garlic...add a bit more with a pinch of salt.

Deep fry it like you normally do.I even like this on chicken!

There are alot of good brines you can soak the bird in the day before you cook it. They usually include something to add sugar to the bird. Dr. Pepper is one ingredient I have seen used. I don't have any recipes off the top of my head but I am sure you can do a [YouNeedAuthorization] search for some.

My mom has special 5 gallon turkey bucket used just for this purpose. Don't tell her I brought it ice fishing with me once or twice.

The rub above sounds pretty good as well. I only question the bay leaves, usually when using bay leaves you remove them and do not eat them. This seems like they would be eaten.

I would probably do that rub without deep frying it though. Every deep fried bird always tastes the same to me. They seem to loose the flavor of the seasonings during the frying process. I preffer grill or just roasted in the oven.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• heard from 2 folks who went the other day, their boat not good the other good!!  go figure..  same charter company...
    • Nice fish.  Heading out to Lake Michigan in 2-3 weeks.  Haven't decided exactly where yet.
    • We were on Kinn's boats out of Algoma.  
    • What port did you head out of Duff?
    • A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 
    • It was slow for us this year, steelhead on Sunday afternoon, and only a couple nice kings on Monday. But the potential for a big fish is there again this year.   My friend is a little on the small side, always makes nice fish look HUGE.   My early morning fish came in at 23.6 lbs. A pound and a half heavier than the top pic.      
    • Nice work, that looks incredible. And I'm a big fan of the grey motif.   Thanks for the show and write up.
    • Yeah we brought it up to our cabin and sleep in it if there are a bunch of people up there. Thanks!
    • Are you guys using it as a summer camper as well?  Super Product right there!  😎
    • Thanks! It weighed in over what I thought which was disappointing. It was right around 7000 lbs with full propane tanks and some other stuff in it. We actually weighed it just after getting spray foamed and it was already at like 5000 lbs I’m not sure how others that did the same style steel stud house have a finished weight around 5500 lbs.    The cost in materials was above 20K but below 25 still too scared to finish adding the receipts. We really tried to use the best materials we could find and not cut any corners. When I was pricing stuff out before we started my ballpark was 19K but I forgot to add a tv screws wire and little stuff like that.    Yeah it took a lot of time but I enjoyed it for the most part. I’m actually getting kind of bored now and don’t know what to do with all the free time.