• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fall Muskies

Fisherman24

I do a lot of muskie fishing in the summer but because of football I am unable to in the fall. I fish mostly in the north, northeast metro. Mainly Forest,WBL,Bald Eagle...I have an opportunity to fish one this weekend... can anyone help me on which lake is the best for fall muskie fishing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don't live in the metro, but my advice to you is get out and spend as much time as you can on any of the lakes you listed. Putting in time anywhere is the best way to get on fish, especially this time of year from what I'm reading.

Hopefully one of the Metro guys can give you more details, but I would say just go with your gut, I've gotten extremely lucky this season on a lot of gut feelings so just go for it.

Any of those lakes are great, it's really about getting to know them. I've seen a few on hairy sparrow recently, but not huge numbers and not anywhere consistently. Some deep and some shallow, outside weed edge is always a good place to look.

B Eagle was very stained still on Sunday, the fish we contacted were shallow. By 3:00, with the Vikes and Twins games, WBL was very quiet. I'd look to WBL as the season progresses and the sailboats go away....

Good luck!

Quote:
can anyone help me on which lake is the best for fall muskie fishing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

manatou island. off the deep point from the north/east bay all the way to the south/west corner then out to the deep end of the sand bar. stay in about 20 feet of water at all times and work a white or black spinnerbait at varrying depths. and directly across from manatou on the point around madamedi(sp). get nothing? work both areas again with cranks, jerkbaits and top waters. then fish the shallows inside the points casting from deep water coming back to you. the long rock bar straight out from the launch at the beach is another one to try in the fall. the boulders are nice cover for baitfish and a nice place for ambushes. grin good luck. 52''ers are in there.

Bald Eagle has been good lately. You have to fight through the soup, but I contacted several fish off of sharp edges and boated one 44. My buddy also bagged a 46. We were slow rolling M&G spinner baits. Use bright colors in that green water. The magic depth seemed to be around 12-15 feet.

I have been out on one of those lakes a lot lately. Early morning seems best, but have moved fish all day too. Crane baits and tallywackers for me are favorites. I noticed a wake and enticed a 45+ into striking with 5' of line out this morning. Button stuck on the Abu Garcia and the fish was gone. It was the largest fish I have let get away from me. I will have nightmares now.

The spots B1gF1sh1 mentioned are good, oh, except you'll be the 55th or 56th person to hit them on any given day. If you're bound to the metro I would try something that isn't on everone's radar. I have had some great success on smaller water. Same tactics, main lake weedlines and yes, there are other baits than dcg's.

Quote:
The spots B1gF1sh1 mentioned are good, oh, except you'll be the 55th or 56th person to hit them on any given day. If you're bound to the metro

laugh thats why i'm a '' cry Croix Baby'' ...

it's been awhile since i've been on lakes a lot i admit. but i can't count on my hands,toes and eye lashes how many times i've fished behind people with a spinnerbait and hooked up on a 'ski. or at least a sign. then the pre rigged tube, twisty or eel is my weapon. RK put a post in here somewhere about spinners. i'll let him tell it. you just gotta find it in ''slow rolling spinnerbaits''. it was written today i think.

do bucktails work well late into the fall? or are minnow-style baits the way to go? another thing, are spring/summer spots going to hold fish in the fall as well? thanks for any info in advance!

Croix Baby - I like that. Could be a new screen name. You're absolutely right though, you'll be dealing with conditioned fish almost anywhere in the metro, different tactics and a little finesse can be the ticket.

Quote:
do bucktails work well late into the fall? or are minnow-style baits the way to go? another thing, are spring/summer spots going to hold fish in the fall as well? thanks for any info in advance!

bucktails ''can'' work anytime. at least in open water. never heard of them being used through the ice crazy old saying...''any bucktail will work in the fall as long as it's black''. i don't remember hearing that in a while but it used to be a common saying... cranks like a super shad rap, believer/swim whizz,the polish line, salmo's that can get down a bit and many others ''can'' work too. the best advice though is slow down your retrives.at least most of the time if it's too hard to do. too slow isn't possible IMHO. it does wear on a guy though. good luck

Quote:
I caught a 47 on November 18th last year burning a bucktail over the tops of weeds in about 3 feet of water...

and i've caught 50+ fish going slow in deeper water... brings us back to another Granpappy Amos famous saying. big muskies are exactly where you'll find an 800 lb. gorilla...

where ever it wants.

weird though. i stop even looking for weeds then, shallower. low light periods and that. maybe i'll look a little harder this year. if i happen to fish another lake.

B1gf1sh1, thanks for the tips I look forward to trying some spots. Another question though. Do you look for weeds or rocks more? She I look for warmer water? I know in the spring I usually have good luck in water that is a degree or two warmer than surrounding areas.

-Also, what other lakes in that general area have good muskie fishing?

Thanks alot!!!