• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

If you were going to buy a new bow, what kind would you get and why?

BLACKJACK

If you were going to buy a new bow, what kind would you get and why (speed?, quiet?, price?). If you did buy a new bow in the last year, tell me why you picked that bow, what features it had that you liked, and price.

The reason I'm asking is that I accidently dry-fired my bow on Sat morning and one of the limbs has a hairline crack in it. My bow is a Golden Eagle, which isn't made anymore, I'm going to the archery shop Tuesday night to see if they can get me a replacement limb but just in case, give me your imput on new bows. Thanks!

To avoid the 'how in the heck did you dry fire your bow' questions heres the quick story: Two weeks ago I was practicing with my bow indoors on a rainy day and twice as I was pulling back the flipper style arrow holder put enough pressure on the arrow to pull it off the string. I just let down and reset the arrow. I tried to figure out how to adjust the flipper arrow holder but didn't, bad mistake. I had no more problems with my arrows popping off the string when I practiced the last couple of weeks. Sat morning I was out bowhunting, it was a foggy damp morning. At first shooting light a coyote came spooking thru. Didn't see him in time, but 5 minutes later when he came trotting back I was ready and as I drew back the flipper arrow holder 'squeeked' as I put the sight on coyote and pulled back, I got him in my sights and fired - TWANG!!! - I hadn't noticed that the arrow had come off the string, I was concentrating on the coyote and my sight. I think the high humidity was just enought to cause too much friction on the flipper type arrow holder.

The only good thing about this episode is that its September 29th and not October 29th!!!! Any thoughts on new bows would be apprecitated. Tell me what kind of arrow holder you use while you're at it frown .

I purchased a new Matthews DXT this past summer. I like the short bow, almost no hand shock and it shoots very quiet. Also fairly fast in the speed department.

As far as the price goes, I believe I paid around $850.00 for the bow. I have to admit that I did not look at any other brands as I'm a matthews kinda guy as I have been more than happy with my past bows and the archers I hunt with also shoot a Matthews and have been very happy.

Depends on price point too.

I love Hoyts, but they are all good bows, Bowtech is another to look at, I have also wanted to check out the Bear Truth and Truth II bows, have heard good things about them. If I were buying a new bow today, I think the Hoyt Katera would be on the top of my list.

Oh yeah, trophy taker drop away rest, you'll never go back!

Oh yeah, trophy taker drop away rest, you'll never go back!

Thats the kind of info I'm looking for!!!

Strato, you were all over the board on your bows, what kind do you shoot?

Of course price is a consideration I just thought I'd find out what people liked and what they've had luck with, then consider prices. I probably will NOT buy a Fred Bear bows because they gobbled up Golden Eagle, which is what I've always shot.

Best thing is to go to a Pro-Shop, not Cabelas or Gander Mtn, and shoot some different brands and see what you like and what is in your price range. The reason I said not Cabelas or Gander is becaue you'll have a tough time getting your bow fixed if something goes wrong with it, especially during hunting season. My dad has been in the archery business for 30+ years and always gets calls from guys who went to one of the above, something broke and are having a hard time getting service from the above. Buy from a local pro-shop, you'll be happy you did. Heaven forbid you break a limb or something close to or during hunting season. I guarantee you'll get better service from a pro-shop.

My dad handles Hoyt and Darton.

Brian

I own a Hoyt UltraTec, its a great bow, not sure if I would trade it for anything. They dont make them anymore either. I have shot the Katera and if I were buying now, thats the one I would get.

as for rests.. I too have a trophy taker and its very good.. I have a QAD Ultra Rest on my target bow and I am thinking of getting another of those for my hunting rig.

What Gander did you go to? I myself actually got better service at a Gander Mountain than at an archery shop. I was at the archery shop checking out bows and none of the workers even asked me if they could help me with anything. Went to Gander in Mankato and the archery pro there knew a whole lot about bows and helped me setup a bow that I have fallen in love with. Being my first bow and the fact that I'm a poor college kid, I went with the Fred Bear Instinct. I love the bow and don't regret the purchase at all. What I think that you have to keep in mind is that a bow is only as good as the accessories you put on it. If you're going to make a big investment and purchase a bow, you might as well spend the extra dollar to buy good quality parts. My bow was $400 but I bet the accessories added up to $250. Then again, it all depends on what you intend to do with the bow and how much you plan to use it. But I will say this, before you buy the most spendy bow in the shop, try out some of the cheaper ones first. You may be surprised at how nice some of them are. I really believe Bear makes quality bows for a beginning shooter.

I forgot to give you my setup. Trophy taker rest (a must have), Team Extreme RT900 sight, Bohning 4 Arrow quiver, Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 350 grain arrows with the blazer vanes, and Rage 3 blade heads. I shoot at a 65lbs draw with a 27 inch draw length. Its not the fastest bow in the world but it's quiet, and if its quiet it doesnt have to be a scorcher. Shot a buck last year at 30 yards with a complete pass through so I'm not worried about penetration

I shoot the Bear Instinct and really like it. A buddy got a new bow last month before going on his Elk hunt. He went into the shop determined to buy a Matthews but came out with the Hoyt Katera! Definitely shoot several bows before choosing one.

I think a lot of it is hit and miss, i find scheels to be very helpful, both kato and st cloud walked around there and was like like 5 times if i wanted to shoot any of the bows and if i wanted to just ask, so thats nice but really it depends on the place you go. Archery country in st cloud ive been in there a few times the owners son has never been to helpful to me but one other guy there was very helpful. Just a hit and miss thing

Ah, I can see it now, BlackJack sitting at home thinking, how can I convice the wife I need a new bow. Wait a minute, I know! lol grin I second Scheels, expecially St. Cloud, which is closer to you. That place is the best. I've never went elsewhere because they treat me so well, especially the archery manager. And they don't pressure you to buy everything and anything.

Hey PFUNK how do you like your Team Extreme RT900 sight? i was looking at one and am considering on putting it on my new bow when i get one. To answer the origianl question I bought a bowtech tribute last year for the fact that that bow can just straight up shoot and was fairly fast. i had a hostage rest on it which was nice if you like a whisker bisket style rest but dont want your fletching to touch. On my next bow i will put a QAD ultra rest pro series drop away rest for sure. As for getting a new bow im really leaning towards the DXT but will shoot a hoyt and possibly some others before making my final choice. Good luck and i hope things work out for you!

A couple of you guys have mentioned the Trophy Taker rests, I did a search on them, they look nice, no fletching interference because it 'falls' out of the way, but if you read my original post the problem I had was with the arrow holder, the flipper above the arrow. What kind of arrow holder do you use?

Blackjack- I don't know if you have been there or not, but there is a proshop by litchfield called Minnesota Archery. They gave me the best service i have seen by a proshop. Matt is the guy that helped me on several visits to the shop. I don't know what brands they all carry, but the service was great. Just another place that is not too far from willmar to check out if you get a chance.

I have a QAD ultra rest pro HD, love it.

As the others have already said, I would go with a drop away rest. I have shot the Trophy Taker and it is a nice rest. Now I am shooting the Rip Cord drop away. It is nice because you can shoot it like a regular drop away (rest goes up on the draw and down on the shot) or you can lock it up with your arrow held in place, the rest still drops away on the shot. As for bows I shoot a Bowtech Allegiance and love it. I have also shot Mathews and Hoyt bows and they all make nice bows.

If you are interested in a mathews(dxt,drenalin) stop in at DJs in Monte. Also carry reflex and bear.

I shoot a Mathews s2 with a QAD rest(will never anything else),cobra sight, carbon express aramid kv arrows with blazers.

I've got the PSE Xforce in 6" brace height. Its compact, fast and easy to handle. The grip is great is the riser is well designed for all the accessories. Some people say its a harsh draw cycle but I think its very smooth. You have to realize that my 60lb bow shoots faster than my old 70lb bow. I can't hardly draw this bow at 70lbs, but thats okay cause I don't need to. Its got more power at a lesser draw weight.

I definitely recommend a dropaway containment rest. I had a ripcord on my old bow and I have one on my new bow bow. I love'm.

Lots of options for bows out there and going by everyone's strong opinions a lot of good ones. I shoot a Mathews Switchback, and love it. If I had chosen a Hoyt, BowTech, PSE, etc, it would have been cause it felt right, and most likely would have loved one of those too.

If I were buying a new rest(Have a Trophy Ridge drop zone now) I'd go with the QAD Ultra. However many people like their Whisker Bisquits. They may be the best choice if you're concerned about a straight down shot from a tree stand.

I have an Apex sight I bought last year. Has the small pins which has helped my accuracy especially on 30+ yard shots. Has really held up well and haven't had to make any adjustments since I first dialed it in. I wouldn't try to get by and save a buck on those two items.

Have fun on your quest!