• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Tackle Storage ?'s

bobber_down

For my panfish jigs and ice flies I use a fly box with ridged foam.It keeps every thing from tangling together.
And for my jiggin spoons and other walleye and cat tackle...well I am getting better at untangling things! smile.gif

------------------
Minnesota River Guided Fishing
www.mnriverguidedfishing.com
[email protected]
NPAA #863

if you want a cheap way to add foam into your tackle boxes, go to a craft store and buy the 1/4 diameter foam and layer it to make ridges, glue bottome end into any box, you can buy the clear boxes, cut out the rows and put a full sheet into the bottom, if that makes any sense. I use a clear plano one too, works fine.
Best Fishes
Chris

What kind of tackle boxes are you guys using to store your ice fishing tackle in?

My main concern is I have a bunch of AE Jr's, Swedish Pimples, Buckshot Rattles, Jigging Raps etc, that all like to get tangled together. Nothing worse than trying to separate 4 Angel Eyes when the trebles are all hooked together with each other and the split rings and what a mess!

I'm just using clear plastic Plano trays (guess thats how you'd describe it) and putting 3-4 lures in each little compartment. Doesn't make sense to have 1 lure per compartment, that would solve my problem but I don't want to take along that many tackle boxes!

Anyone have any great ideas??

I do the same thing as you. smile.gif

A friend uses foam (I hope to get some, can't find what I need yet) that he puts inside the tackle trays and sticks the hooks in the foam. It keeps everything seperated, and not bouncing around inside.

Fleet farm sells the little plastic tubes you can store your smaller lures in. I keep all my AE Jr's, Pimples, Buckshots, etc, in them. It not only keeps them from tangeling up, but it keeps them shiny and sharp.

------------------
Love them 'Pout!

[This message has been edited by Poutmaster (edited 04-03-2004).]

poutmaster,

Plastic tubes, you might be on to something there! I've got a couple ideas I'm going to play with this summer to see if I can get myself more organized. Anything is going to be better than my current system wink.gif

Get a handgun hard sided case with the soft foam liner. You can put several lures on the foam and they stay put. You can also repalce the 2" foam with multiple layers of 3/4" foam. The lures also stay sharp since they are not bouncing around and they don't rust since the foam won't hold water.

Its been almost a year now since I asked this question and I found a solution to my Ice Tackle Storage problems.

The fly boxes are definitely the way to go for me. I had to modify the box a little with some self adhesive foam weather stripping which secures the spoons in place when the box lid is closed. I have a number of these boxes for my different spoons and have labeled them accordingly both on the front of the box and the end. I keep them all in a softside tackle box so everything is neat and ready. Can you figure out yet that I like to be neat, organized, and efficient when I'm fishing. smirk.gif Oh yeah, I like Scenic Tackle Go-Devils too! Can you tell.

flybox15bi.jpg

flybox21ac.jpg

The boxes are only $5-6 a piece. I don't think its that bad. I just add a box when I get too many spoons so its a minimal investment on my part now to protect what ends up being a lot on money in tackle.

I've found these boxes at Gander & Cabelas but I'm having problems finding them at Gander lately. They are available in smaller & larger sizes than what I have shown. This particular size seems to fit 1/8- 1/4oz spoons in it quite nicely.

I use a fly box too for my ice tackle. My grandpa did this about 40 years ago and I just recently upgraded from his to a clear box by Plano that I paid like $4-5 for. I also have one that has dividers in it for weights and stops and such. I put them all into a tupperware box that I have glued into a large plastic storage bin that is about 30" long x 18" wide x 8" tall that I bought at Target. My three rods go into the box and fit well with the tupperware box that is glued in. I snap the cover on the whole deal and stick it in the sled. I use a towel in the box to keep the rods from sliding all over inside the box. The large box also fits across my Otter to provide a "table" to set things on while fishing. It was cheap and everything stays organized and undamaged.