• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SD Whitetails

Kyle

Anyone hunt SD for trophy whitetails? I really want to try it. For those of you who have some experience with this, What part of the state would be the best to go to for a trophy? I dont want to spend a bunch of time and money on just anywhere. FYI this would be self guided. Thanks

Actually I want to do a combo mullie/whitetail hunt either out there or Nebraska. I have a buddy who goes out to SODAK every year and they always get a nice mix of mullies and whitetails I will try to find out what are they hunt and let ya know. It will be awhile since I dont have his number and run into him on ocassion up town. If you want drop me an email and we can discuss the details of some of your thoughts as far as places to go without having to make a forum wide broadcast about it.

I've hunted whitetails in SD. I went rifle in the black hills and had a doe tag the first year and pulled a buck tag the next year. I will be going back Nov. 09 with a buck tag. I have seen some nice bucks and shot a dandy in 07. I want to get out there with my bow!!!! Let me know if you want any advice of info.

somehow or other my post on this topic didn't show up. being from South Dakota, I'd hafta recommend huunting east river. They do have the bigger bodies and racks on that side of the Missouri. The rangeland of the west simply doesn't have the forage to produce bruiser bucks. Sure, there are decent ones around if you can find land to hunt on. The "Hill's" have produced some nice bucks but the 170 & up class are few and far between. Tags are by lottery only and very few non-residents availiable in respective counties & Nat'l Forest land. There are a few outfitters on the river and the Cheyenne in the Wasta/Wall area that will take your check. But, if you don't have a tag by now I'm afraid you're outta luck. By the way, there is NO such thing as a "ranch tag". You can't buy a tag across the counter including archery. You can look at the GF&P site to see what counties have left over tags. You can contact me at GRNKPR @AOL.COM if you weant more info.

Quote:
But, if you don't have a tag by now I'm afraid you're outta luck

Not true at all. Lots of archery tags still available. I'm planning an archery hunt the first week of November and haven't bought my tags yet. Many of the drawings for firearm have passed but archery is wide-open. Check the SoDak GFP site.

And yes... the Dakota's have some nice deer. Different management philosophies across the border.

While pheasant hunting I've seen some very NICE deer in SoDak!!! This would be east river, south of Aberdeen. If it wasn't for family commitments, I would have went out there bowhunting this year, next year for sure!!!