• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Copywriting photos

I have a pic I would like to share/post, but I really don't want to see it show up on someone's HSOforum some day. I once emailed some pics to a Canadian fishing outfitter I used, and he used them without permission in his brochures. I'm by no means an experienced photographer, but this one pic is really special to me.

So my question is, what do I need to do to "stamp" it so I can retain it as my own? Just insert some text over the photo?

Thanks.

You know, sorry I asked. I guess it really wont matter. It's really not that great I guess.

This photo was taken at 11:30 pm on June 9th about 150 miles NE of Winnepeg. I did not edit the photo at all. As far as the camera settings I couldn't tell you. I was just enjoying an evening by the fire with out a sound or care in the world. It was bright overcast night like none you'll see here in Minnesota. hembryocampfire.jpg

fishing, you can place text over it. That's what I do. But it just helps keep an honest person honest. If someone wants to pull an image off an online posting and use it for their own purposes, that's what they'll do.

You can pretty well prevent that by making the text so large across the photo that it would be a big pain to photoshop out, but then of course it makes the picture look bad, too.

It's a very nice picture, and I don't blame you for wanting to protect yourself.

For what it's worth, your photo is immediately copyrighted upon capture, but by registering it with the U.S. Copyright Office you can get more compensation if you sue someone for stealing it.

Thanks for your info. I knew you'd reply. Ya after thinking about it and comparing it to "real" photography such as your work, this really doesn't merit any worry over copywriting issues. Thanks for the kind words anyhoo. The photo isn't the quality that you guys get, but I've got a simple digital camera that works for me. I just thought the photo was kinda neat and people might like to see it. Sorry I thought I read that 800 horizontal works but it appears the standard 640 would have been better.

fishin, it's a photo that means a lot to you. That's all that really matters. No photo needs to be compared to others, IMO, because each stands on its own. Since you are pleased with it and it speaks to you, then you have satisfied the only one who is important in this.