• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bowhunting for turkeys

bullzeyez61

I have seen videos of People slicing the neck off with a broad head, not sure what kind, but the head would literally pop off. I think if you did shoot for the vitals, you wouldn't lose a considerable amount of meat, it's not like a bullet that would rip it up as bad.

the gobbler guillotine is the one that lops the head clear off. they are not too accurate past 15 yards. I shot my turkey in the body and not very much meat was damaged at all. the breast meat is fairly large on turkeys so not much meat will be damaged. It is very fun getting a gobbler with a bow. Good luck. you might be able to still buy a bow tag over the counter for the fall seasons but im not posotive.

Hit 'em at the wing base and they won't go far. Can't worry too much about meat damage, as killin said, there is a bunch.

There are lots of tags left over, but not sure about the Elk River area.

You can check here.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/lotteries/turkey_fall.html#Surplus

There are a couple of different styles that are made for head shots, like Donbo said the guillitine and the other is the magnus bullhead, has a large cutting base and does the job as well, but you still can't beat a wide blade body shot to put them down as well! good luck get out and watch videos and read up on them?!!

If you were hunting for turkeys exclusively, then one of the other bigger heads would be my choice for sure. My point is to take one while deer hunting, just use your regular heads and hit 'em good. I shoot turkeys every fall in other states while bowhunting deer.

Good luck.

I have always gone for the hips, turkeys are basically done on the spot if you take out the hips, they need them for getting airborn and the obvious, they can't run away.

Sorry, but I do not believe this to be good advice. Although this shot, if hit exactly right, may anchor a bird to the spot, the wound is too far from the vitals of a turkey to ensure a quick humane kill.