• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weekend Destinations

cjac

Went Saturday afternoon until just after dark. Had one pop a topraider late but didn't get much of a look at it, never felt the fish and it seemed like a smaller fish. Also spooked a 30ish incher that was up near the surface. It wanted no part of my bait. I did catch a pretty nice bass on a double 8 bucktail. In hindsight I think I loaded up and set to hook a little too hard for that fish, as I yanked her right out of the water.

Sunday chased some pike. Put a pair of 30" in the boat and some upper 20's. Had a really nice one that may have pushed 40" follow to the boat but turned and bolted right as I started my 8. I think they're more shy of the boat and trolling motor. Still nice to hook into a few that can actually take out the drag though.

Originally Posted By: JRedig
We were hammering them on topwaters, we saw a lot more than the 3 we caught. Missed at least 10 others.

You must be using some type of "walk the dog" topwater to have that low of a hooking percentage. Sounds pretty typical from my experience with WTD anyway. Definitely fun to see them blow up on topwater though, but it can be frustrating.

Nope, no WTD's. Creepers and prop baits. I watched at least 5 times this weekend as a fish had it's mouth open, took a swing at the bait and missed completely or didn't get hooks. Then they'd spook and swim off. The definition of maddening. The only bait I had fish blowing up on and missing was the manta, 4 times I saw the back half of a fish out of the water next to the bait and no hooks or weight ever felt.

Kinda the same thing for me. I was out sunday afternoon and had 3 fish follow a prop that I got to take swipes at the boatside but just watched the lure kinda sit in their mouth and than slide out without them clamping down or giving me a chance to set the hook...

Funny thing was all the action took place in the middle of the afternoon and had nothing during low light