• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Red River (Lockport)

Right now? I would imagine the lake would be slightly better. I have only fished the system once, last fall and we were on the Red. Had great fishing. Lots of trophys came out during that time, second week of October. I want to get back there and fish the big lake, but it won't be this year due to the fact that we are having a baby next week. There is always next year.

Don't be afraid to call Stu. He will give you the info you need, no strings attached and no B.S. We reserved a place there last year and was advised by him to call before we left to see if the bite was good to go. If it wasn't, he was going to tell as not to come. I thought that was awfully fair. You don't get that at many places.

You are right Stu and his operation are second to none. We have been up there a couple times and he has treated us right and put us on fish. The lake is outstanding on the ice. We do not have much of a choice when we can go so I think we are going anyways. All I need is the chance at a big fish to keep me interested. Thanks for the help.

First of all, thank you both for your kind words!

Sorry for not posting or responding to this thread, I've been pre-occupied elsewhere!

Anyways most of you know that the Red had major issue's this fall. Issue's that spelled out, "TO MUCH WATER"!!! crazy There was (and still is) so much water coming through the system that is killed the fishery. When the river becomes excessively colored, the bite becomes virtually non-existant. mad However, Pine Falls was and is fishing extremely well at this time. Lots of action with three to five pound walleye. I just spent last Sunday through Wednesday out on Traverse Bay and had a blast catching super numbers of very quality 'eyes!

"If" the weather cooperates by staying mild and the water conditions improves in the Red, there will be a late bite before freeze up. However it all hinges on the weather and conditions.

To tell you the truth, I couldn't care less whether or not we get out on the water agin this fall. I'm ready for the hard water season! I'm ready to once again tackle Lake Winnipeg, in fact I can hardly wait until that time comes!

Hope to see some of you on the ice in the coming months. I will be making updates on the ice fishing thread as they occur.

I was quite suprised to see in In-Fisherman that they had in there destination page a picture of you Stu, but recomended anohter place to stay.

I can't comment on behalf of the In-fish, besides I never seen the section that you're referring to. By chance, are they suggesting that the "go to" place for acommodations is the Selkirk Inn & Conference center? Just curious.

How has the fishing been?

For the most part, the action has been tough. This is due to the continuation of above normal flo's. In time, thing's will settle down, though not until the hard water season gets underway. That's what I'm now focusing on....the "HARD WATER" season, it's gonna be a good one!!! grin

Yes that was what they were suggesting. I am sure there are reasons for the things they do, but just looking at you in the picture and not seeing Cats be the go-to place just seemed odd. That is unless you have connections or ownership in the confrence center. Either way it has nothing to do with the bite so back to that......

I will be up sometime in March to hit the big lake but would like to come and hit the River hard for two days. You told me once about how fun it is to get those big eye's when they suspend in the deep river water. When does that bite usually occur? Is catching cats through the ice somethign you do or is that not an option? Thanks!

Yes that was what they were suggesting. I am sure there are reasons for the things they do, but just looking at you in the picture and not seeing Cats be the go-to place just seemed odd. That is unless you have connections or ownership in the confrence center. Either way it has nothing to do with the bite so back to that......

(Trust me when I say that I do not have a single investment share with this place, Ironically, they don't even like fishermen!)

I will be up sometime in March to hit the big lake but would like to come and hit the River hard for two days. You told me once about how fun it is to get those big eye's when they suspend in the deep river water. When does that bite usually occur? Is catching cats through the ice somethign you do or is that not an option? Thanks!

March is a great time to visit to region, especially if you like catching loads of quality 'eyes! The suspended 'eye bite usually takes place on the Red starting sometime in January. I'm not sure how much time I'll be spending on teh Red though, I'm enjoying way to much success of the lake! wink

Speaking of Lake Winnipeg, I captured this one yesterday during a quick visit up to Victoria Beach. As you can clearly see, the "hard water" season is fast approaching! grin

IMG_1781_1-1.png