• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hit (Again) at the landing... Sorry for the Rant

PTocko

Well - I just got inside from fixing my truck for the second time this summer. Up until this summer my 2001 F150 (w/ only 46000 miles) was in mint condition. Now I have tie wraps holding my bumper and now one of my fog lights on. Both times at Prior Lake on the south landing - neither time did anyone leave a note. I know how it happens - people pull out and turn too sharply and pull their trailor right into the cars next to them. Stupid mistake, I know because I've done it. And I left a note and the person called me and said forget about it. In the end I spent a Saturday afternoon helping him fix the damage and we ended up being friends. I'm not pumping myself up - it was the right thing to do and I didn't feel better or worse for doing it, it was what my father tought me to do. Not to get too far off topic but I have a 3 year old and a 18 mo old and it is getting increasingly difficult to teach them about responsibility, accountability and honor. It seems people are rewarded these days for being a victim, for not doing the right things and then they blame everyone but themselves when things turn out bad. I would love to know how the person rationalized driving away after hitting my truck this past Sunday night - "its a nice truck, he can probably afford to fix it" or "he was parked "wrong" and it was his fault I hit him". I guess I'll never know because the person was not honorable enough to say, "I screwed up, how can I make things right". Again, sorry for the rant - I'm done now.

I feel your pain. I also have had this happen to me a bunch of times. 1 Trailer axle moved 3' and no note, doored badley and no note, backed into my truck with trailer and no note.

I caught a guy trying to rip off my 3rd wheel on my trailer. Believe me it was hard not to take care of bussiness and clean his clock. Very hard. I calmed down, made him stay there and called the police.

We live in a day and age where respect, morals and empathy for others isnt learned nearly as much. Looked at how many single parent households are in your neighborhood lately?

Anyway Ill chill out on my societal rant.

I understand what your saying and its a pain and can be expensive but at least there are still a few people, like many here on FM, that are teaching kids the correct values and morals and hopefully these kids we come in contact with will practice what we teach.

Dont let the few knuckleheads sour ya. I know its tough at times, believe me I know I work in corrections.

as much as i hate to say it, but pretty soon there will be an utter total complete lack of privacy in public spaces due to quality digital cameras running 'round the clock, and inconsiderate people like those who hit your truck will get in trouble because of it. I imagine it wouldn't be too expensive nowadays to get a handful of hidden digital video recorders, one for each side of your car, and able to record enough hours of footage to watch what happens to your car while you're away.

Plenty of people have dashcams, which have resulted in a number of interesting videos posted on youtube.

as much as i hate to say it, but pretty soon there will be an utter total complete lack of privacy in public spaces due to quality digital cameras running 'round the clock, and inconsiderate people like those who hit your truck will get in trouble because of it.

Main, not sure what you mean by this. I have no desire to put cameras on my truck to "catch" inconsiderate people. I would much rather have people "step up" and do the honorable thing. If they cannot, they have to live with it, not me. I also wrote it as reminder to pay attention when you are towing - your turning radius is different when you are towing, be aware of this.

Not to nit pick on you - but "lack of privacy" and "public places" are contradictory. Public places are by definition "public", you should not assume to have "privacy" in a public place. I am much more concerned about the lack of privacy in "private" places i.e. smoking bans in privately owned bars etc. No, I am not a smoker but if I owned a bar it should be my choice as to what kind of customer I want to attract.

Not wanting to start an arguement - just not sure where you were going. Northlander, thanks for your perspective, its sad but I appreciate it. Paul

A couple of weeks ago had someone bash into the back of my trailer and knocked both taillights out and bent the brackets holding the rear rollers. Cost me $150 to buy the parts to fix it. S@%t happens, but I do wish people would be more careful and take responsibility.

What bugs me is the people who get to a ramp early and then park their rig right next to the ramp on the waters edge instead of driving a few feet and parking in the lot or along side of the road. Then everyone else has to be extra careful not to hit the vehicle or trailer. If I ever hit one of of those vehicles I would certainly leave my name, but I can't help but think they deserved it.

I was once confronted and accused of hitting someone's SUV, when all I did was merely parked next to them. They prevented me from getting to my truck and after a half hour conversation I was about ready to call the cops to settle it and that's when they took off. So anyway about a week later, I found my truck fender scratched up.

HAd that happen up north at a very remote lake. A buddy of mine was to meet me there, and watched a guy hit my trailer light destroying it. He made the guy give him 20.00 for the damage and he gave it to me on the lake. No way was this person going to leave a note as my buddy waited to see, and when he was pulling out , blocked his path.

G.C.

I've been on the other side of this once, I hit a truck bumper soon after getting my new and 4 ft longer boat.....Really a day ruiner, sure I could have left, but thats just not how I am. Left a note and went and flagged the guy down on the lake. In the end it cost me almost $400 to get it fixed, but owning up to your mistakes is the only way to live. I just can't believe the [PoorWordUsage] some people pull, I couldn't live with the fact that I had left someone with hundreds of dollars of repairs. A friend of mine had his truck backed into at a landing, ended up with over $1000 in damages as he needed to replace a whole door and quarter panel....

That landing can be nuts, even more so now that the bigger north landing is closed for repairs. I feel bad for you PTocko. There is some deffinet knuckleheads facter involved. That parking lot is tight.

I get agravated every time I use that landing. My favorite is the amount of trailer less cars in the little lot. The people that live in the development around it park there extra cars there to reduce the boat traffic.

I hear you. These parking lots ae getting to be a joke. This year seems to be worse than ever. If the guy next to you doesn't park just right, you can't get your trailer out. Space between rows is about right for a truck to get out, but add a 20' trailer also and it just gets tight. Haven't hit anyone yet, but it has really been close sometimes. Maybe just me in my old age, but I think it is bad.

Talk about having things happen to you at the ramp, two summers ago i was fishing on a lake north of brainerd, had the drain hose come off the livewell and took on a lot of water to the point where the bilge pump could not keep up(first part of the bad day). then about 5 miles down the road my truck starts vibrating funny going around a corner, so i let it coast down to a stop on a section of straight road. got out to check the tires, and on the drivers side someone had loosened up all my lug nuts front and rear. in the rear i snaped a stud and had one lug laying on the pavement about 40 yards behind the truck, down to 3 loose lugs holding that wheel on, and the front lugs had just loosened up, but not to the point of falling off. Luckily a really nice farmer was cutting hay right where i stopped and ran back to his farm to get a good jack. There is no way that that many lugs loosened up that much out of the blue. That would have been and interesting ride trying to stop a boat while loosing a tire or two.

Sorry for the rant, your story just reminded me of it.

What time were you there? We launched about 3:45 and came off at about 7:00. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary either time. I had a roller stolen off of my trailer at the launch at a different metro lake earlier this year and I was glad that was all that happened.

Northlander ~ Whoa there on the single-parent household slam. I know plenty of single parents that teach their children respect, morals and empathy for others. My brothers wife left him when their daughters were 3 & 4 years old. He raised these girls by himself. These two girls are now graduates of St. Thomas and Augsburg. They both own homes (one's married, one's not) and have great jobs in Accounting.

I know people that came from a traditional 2 parent family that are total pieces of cr*p.

Please don't generalize.

Fishnovice101, Sorry if it seemed like I was "slamming" single parents. That wasnt my intent and I think you know that.

What I was saying is kids raised in single parent households(especially low income) have the odds against them. Dad is gone, in most cases, and mom is left to work, cook, clean and teach her kids values, morals and whats just plain old right and whats wrong. Can be vise versa as well I know.

Working in corrections we get very few kids from 2 parent households and the ones that do have 2 parents have parents with their own "Issues". The vast % of kids in trouble come from single parent homes or homes that have been broken at least once.

Yes there are kids, who later become adults of course, that had 2 parents and are in trouble or dont have the propper tools to do the right things. I dont disagree with that at all.

The odds that a kid turns out "Ok" are much better when 2 "Ok" parents are in the picture.

That comes from a guy with 23 plus years working and volunteering with kids both "Troubled" and not in trouble.

Again Im not slamming any single parents out there that are trying their dangest to teach their kids the right way.

Oh, and I mean this sincerely. Congrats to your brother for raising 2 healthy daughters and to them on graduating college and leading successful lives. I love seeing and hearing that stuff!

Sorry folks, but not all fisherman are as well behaved as FM'rs. Many are rude, crude, booze slobbering jerk-baits who don't care about others. You know who I'm talking about. You've all seen them. They just don't care.

What's even worse is in a few weeks some of these guys will be in the woods with loaded rifles. One big reason I don't hunt anymore.

It's up to us to set the example so others will know that there are some decent folks who enjoy these sports.

Sorry to hear about your string of bad luck. I had somebody hit me this year and not say a thing about it either. I can't believe people like that can live with themselves. I agree with you Wish-I-Were-Fishin about the numbskulls and morons that also like to fish and hunt. I've ran into plenty of them this year on the lakes....that's why I've gravitated towards the river a bit more. Theres still morons....just not as many.

I've always want solid metal posts at each end of the lines. So your truck and trailer is safe within these posts, so if anyone makes a mistake of turning too sharp, they damage their own trailer and not your parked trailer or vehicle.

Sorry - I've been off line for awhile.

As to time - we launched at about 5:30 and pulled out about 8:00 - 8:15'ish. I did not notice the damage until Wednesday evening (I have a company car so truck is only used for towing) so the damage was from Sunday night. It was minor - bumper plastic pulled off and fog light pushed up and in. Had to bend the fog light bracket back into place and zip tie the plastic. It looks fine.

As to that lot being tight - I agree. It is not a very friendly lot but I park in the same spots my neighbors do and if you pay attention and pull straight out before you turn - you can make it.

Lastly - I view fishing a lot like snowmobiling. It is for most intents and purposes a self policing sport / activity. It relies on the "user" to do the right thing (not a referee). This could apply to fishing limits, number of lines etc but also when we wrong someone else and damage their property. I do not want a fishing "gestapo" that watches my every move - I would rather have a sport where people follow the laws on their own and have mutual respect for each other and others on the lake.

Thanks again for the words of support - you don't know how much I appreciate it. That is why I love this site so much - FM rules. Paul

I like to make people stare at my rig. What i mean is driving my truck and trailer through tight drive thrus ! the people behind you and the person at the window just are amazed by the sight!!!

laugh I do that all the time. Actually went through the bank drive up on my way home from the river today. They asked if I was going fishing. I said "nope, boat wanted to see where the payments go"