• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Channels in a local pond

Quetico

Hey guys, we found a small south metro pond thats been stocked with channels. The 2007 lake survey says theres decent size and numbers of channels in this small pond.

How do I go about catching these? We'll be fishing from the canoe. Drift with bottom rigs and crawlers like we would for walleyes? Would they be bunched together enough to slip bobber fish when we get one? Other tactics for channels in small ponds?

Please realize we're definitely not catfish people. I've actually never even tangled with a cat.

Thanks for the help.

do some forum searching and learn what baits channels tend to bite on. put your bait on or near the bottom of the pond and wait for them to bite. if you don't get anything in one spot move around and try another. Or drift for them like you mentioned. there is a thread about drifting for channels. click around the cat forum and you should find answers to your questions.

One small south metro pond that i know of that is stocked with channels is Community Park Pond in Savage...friends and I just use Chicken Liver that you can buy at Cub or Rainbow and we let it sit on the bottom.....we also put some small split shot weights to keep it down and we use circle hooks....some decent sized channels in there and they put up a good fight...we mainly fished for them there in the spring

Yeah it sounds like the same place. We're do so work there on the new environmental learning center.

A few of us were talking about wanting to fish the pond. Rumor is it used to be a DNR holding pond for 'eyes.