• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New rod/reel/line for Lakers

Quetico

Ok so I'm heading for Ontario in January going for Lakers. What type of line does everyone use? Suggestions on a new rod/reel?

I have one set-up that could handle Lakers but looking for probably 2 more rigs. Maybe a bait caster? Do people just switch their summer bait casters to the ice rods for the winter?

Thanks

Check out the Jason Mitchell Mackinaw bait caster. Avery nice option for a larger fish and a very well built rod. Then add a nice reel. One could also check out the Thorne Bros model.

I take off one of my smaller Abu bait casters and place it on the rod. As far as line goes, I have 3 laker rods and 2 have mono and one has braid.

http://www.jasonmitchellrods.com/

http://thornebros.com/

I would suggest 12lb mono or P-Line, especially if you plan on fishing outside.

I ended up stripping all the braid off my reel due to ice build up.

The Jason Mitchell rod is a nice one. The eyes are spiral or "Roberts" wrapped which is nice for jigging. I use an Abu Garcia 5600 on that rod.

Also, according to this, http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...ele#Post1533098

Jason is adding a spinning Laker rod to his line of rods. Might be something else to check out, especially if you already have a spinning reel to toss on it.

**edit**

I take that back, I didn't strip my line off, I just added about 50 yrds of mono on top of my braid smile

When in a house or out on a nice day I use power pro to a small swivel and then 12-20# Gamma. Outside I just go with the Gamma in the same. Inland 12# and on Lake Superior usually 20#.

Jason Mitchell has a nice laker rod as does Thorne Brothers. I had a rod made by Scottie and a few made by Midwest Rod and Reel and they were all very well built.

Many options out there. Make sure you have a good reel with a good drag.

I found last winter that when fishing deep depths of Lake Superior the Lakers didnt mind Power Pro straight to my lure. Im going to see how it works inland this year. I dont think Lakers are a line shy fish anyways.

I like Vanish Gold 10 lbs - I use a 42" Med heavy pole and open face reel.

I like the long pole, it bends over nicely when there is a trout on and if the fish changes direction I can keep the line from going slack easier.

This is for hole hoping of course, as it would be tough to fit in a fish house

Inland trout, I am usually yielding a longer, 38 inch to 42 inch, spinning rod with a good solid reel that has a flawless drag and 10 to 12lb mono. Here on Lake Superior, I am using a shorter baitcasting rod, 32 inch to 36", with 30lb Sufix Braid.

Difference in the two, for me personally, the spinning rod allows better lure manipulation, as I am normally using lures under and ounce, and a better fight through the action of a spinning rod. Baitcasting set-up, I am using bigger baits in deeper water, up to 3 ounce on any given day, and need all the power necessary to set the hook in deep water, say over 250FOW at times.

For line choice, I am fishing outside on inland lakes running and gunning key structural elements. Mono or an equivelent shines here due ice build up. And on the big lake, am usually shacked up for quite awhile due to the expansive water and waiting a bit for fish to find the lure. Braid here, to cut current better and for optimum hook setting.

On either body of water, Jason Mitchell Elite Series can have me covered. With the 36" Mackinaw baitcaster or the new for 2009 38" Spinning Rod. Both, were specifically designed for Lake Trout fishing.

Reels, for baitcasters, I like the Pflueger President Wide Spool or Abu Garcia C4 series. Good gear ratios to reel up fast on hook sets and to get up outta deep water fast. Spinning, Pflueger Presidents in the 6730 or 6735 series. Both types, I clean and re-lube prior to ice season with Quatum Hot Sauce Oil for flawless operation.

As anything, personal preference mainly, but thought I would add my views.

Jason Mitchell Mackinaw w/ Garcia 5500 spooled with 10 lb Power Pro. Barrel swivel w/ 2.5' 12 lb Berkly XT. Scotty's spiral wrapped rod is also a very nice rod with same reel and line setup. As said, the braids will ice up in cold temps. Using a baitcaster, the worst that'll happen is you have to pull line out on drops. Put that braid on a spinning reel in cold temps and you'll have a mess. 10 lb might seem light but you'll pull out hooks before it'll break. That lighter line is nice when you down size to smaller lures. I also run 10 lb TX mono on biatcasters and spinning reels. I essence, I want a line that won't coil during drops or with light lures. Those combos are strictly for In-land Lake Trout where lure weights are under 3/4 oz and depths under 70'.

As Jim said you'll need a stiffer rod for the heavier weight lure and also to counter act the line drag and resistance at greater depths when Jigging the Great lakes.

Another plus with the spiral wrap rods, such as the Jason Mitchell Mackinaw, it helps with ice up problems. The first eye cleans the line well as the line moves through the guide and catches ice chunks as well. Give a good flick of the wrist and the ice build up shakes off if it does accumulate a lot too.