• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is my motor okay???

PTocko

Okay - last night I did a bone headed thing. I had my three year old with me and I was not following my normal boat "pull out" routine. As a result I loaded the boat and pulled it out of the water with the motor still idleing. I caught it very quickly (30 seconds tops) and shut it down. Water was still streaming from the "pee" hole. I put the boat back in the water and started it and let it run for a bit to let it cool down. Did not seem like there was any issues but... Any opinions on what - if anything - I should check for damage. I'm thinking maybe the impeller but I was going to relplace at the end of the year anyway - I don't think the heads would have gotten that hot in 30 seconds to do any damage but who knows. Motor is a 99 Mercury 40 hp four stroke. As I said it did start no problem and seem to run fine so I think I'm okay. And I promise I will never do this to my motor again. Paul

You sound be just fine. In fact this is a common practice with late fall early spring river anglers. They do not want to have any water in the motor for risk of freezing and expanding. The 30 seconds you left it on is a little more than most guys do but I still think you are OK. Your impeller should be ok seeing it was still very wet. You will run into more trouble cranking it over when the impeller is dry.