• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

making fish hides

axel grease

I was wondering what some of the people on this forum have done to make their own little fishing honey hole?

I was looking at Texas Fish and Game magazine. It had an article about making fish hides. The author used pvc pipe and five gallon buckets. It sounds like a fairly long term structure. The thing that was really helpful was that jugs were fastened to the top keeping the structure upright.

Would this be a good place to put such a contraption? I fish places where the water has a shelf in 14 - 16 feet of water with a vary sharp drop off to 24 - 26 feet. I am thinking of suspending it some distance from the drop off say 5 - 10 feet and at the same height. Just about how long does it take fish to find and relate to this type of structure?

yeah the DNR don't like that idea. I'm sure it 's covered in the regs.

Brian

[This message has been edited by BDR (edited 03-02-2004).]

well axel...
you failed to mention that it was a private lake,so with that out of the way,i've read alot into the fishing of man-made structures and from what i gathered most structures are placed in deeper water.Trees and brushpiles are the preferred attractor.All structures also need time for the panfish to move in.Other attractors are bales,tires,stakebeds and crib shelters.By placing several of these around deeper water,your catch ratio will be better in my opinion.Good luck fishing!

CM

If these waters are in Minnesota, even if the lake is totaly surrounded by private land, you still do not own the water. Therefore, the DNR still has jurisdiction over that lake. You will need a permit regardless to sink cribs, attractors, etc, legally.

I live in central Illinoize. Look, I summize that certain things could be a big secret.

I don't want to know where your's are at, but a little input as to if I'm going in the right direction. Only my GPS will have the location.

Minnisota sound strict.

It's not strict, it's smart.
Fish attractors work really well, and by putting them in a lake you are concentrating the fish into a small area which in turn makes them very vulnerable to overharvest.

Now, I don't know anything about the laws in Illinois, but if your lake is truly private and you manage the lake wisely, an attractor would be a good idea and it will work very well.

There are plenty of sites out there with info on how to build em, plans, location ideas, etc. Just do a search and you should find plenty of what you are looking for.