• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need a good comeback

Every time I'm set up somewhere with my photographs, at least a couple people will say some thing like this, "you must really have a good camera". My usual reply is "it helps". Can anyone come up with something else, that isn't real sarcastic. whistle I can't help it, but it does annoy me a tad. I'm tempted to tell them that I just have a $50,000 trailcam with a tripod I can set on autopilot, and when something appears, it automatically tracks the bird and fires at just the right moment with just the perfect settings. wink

I know just what you mean Mike, I get that at least once a week about prints I have on the wall at work. It is annoying, but most of the time they aren't trying to make a dig and are actually complementing your work. "Yep, and Stephen King has a really good typewriter" rarely gets the point across. grin

"It's not to bad" or something along those lines is what I usually respond with and let the conversation move past it - unless they really are interested in the gear, then we can talk about it. It's tough not to let loose with some barbed, sarcastic comback. I save those for the comments about the big lens. wink

I hear ya. It kind of bugs me too. I spend a lot of time trying to improve my skills and I know that a good camera does help, although it seems to get most of the credit. smirk

I've been tempted to tell people I use my camera phone and watch there eyes pop out.

The thing to remember is that they are complimenting you. I wish they'd pick a different comment but it's nice to hear either way.

Just think of how good you'd feel about that comment if you didn't have have a good camera.

When someone says that to me I just look at it as an opportunity for education. The fact that it's the eye, heart and mind of the photographer doing the creating with the camera as the tool isn't something the uninitiated know anything about.

It's not their fault, and they are trying to pay you a compliment, so I thank them and say that I have an average camera, that you can buy cheaper ones (not by much) and much, much more expensive ones. I say this graciously because I know that their intent is good. If I sense they feel inclined to talk or listen I then point to my eyes, my head and my heart and say with a nice smile: "These are important, too."

Engaging people in a friendly, sincere way makes them more interested in your work because at some level they do understand that you are an artist, a creator, and if they like your work in the first place they'll have some interest in talking to you. And some will feel flattered that you've given them a bit of time. While I like to do that because it's fun to watch people enjoying themselves, it's also good business to listen to their intent rather than my own pride of expression and reply in kind.

Just my philosophy.