• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

electronics

I'M42NDAMEND

Why is it that 20 years ago people had no problems finding and catching fish, but now most even won't go without all the electronic gadgets and gizmos? It's just a matter of time before we're paying someone to catch a fish in a tank, which will have to be released, because we "vex'ed" em all.

20 years ago sure people found and caught fish. But I don't buy that it took the same amount of time to find, or that they caught as many. Of course some credit to success 20 years ago was also (in general) higher fish populations. I am very confident that I catch way more fish now with toys than I would without. Also I never stayed in because my battery was dead.
If you don't want to use electronics,more power to you. But remember there are some real "old timers" that could feel the same way about the reel on rod. smile.gif

------------------
Will fish for work
Brian Rogers

Unless you walk with your fishhouse and gear on your back from your house to your designated fishing spot, dig through the ice with your bare hands, etc you are using some type of "electronic gadjet". I may use a Marcum but I can't afford a 4 wheel drive truck, an all terrain vehicle, snowmobile, whatever to get me and my gear out on the lake. Most of the time I walk out and pull my portable and gear behind me. It's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other as far as I'm concerned. There's all kinds of things that can give you an advantage. I don't think my "electonic gadget" gives me any more of an advantage than anybody else. It doesn't pull the fish into me. I still have to find the right spot. Just my 2 cents.

~piker

Actually, we fished with all the new "gadgets and gizmos" twenty years ago, too. Remember the infamous "green box" locator? Anyone remember the jig style plastic ice fishing rod/reel combos, where you pushed the button with your finger and the end of the rod jigged up and down? And the latest lures were all "chartruese". And don't forget about that new "graph" style fish finder for the boat! Twenty years ago it was no different. Marcums, AquaViews and 3-blade power augers are just the latest in equipment. Just like everything else, fishing equipment has evolved.

Them old rods that you pushed the button were called *Thrumming* (sp?).. they were red/black, or red/black with a white rod... The Green Box locators were already out for a while 20 years ago.

Even today, many of us are fishing the same spots as most 20 years ago.. but theres a heck of a lot more ice fisherman.. not that the spots still couldnt be as good, but its less likely when you have 35 perms and 12 portables on one structure all the time... and everyone trying to see who can drill the most holes at the beginning of prime time.

Others are right, the equipment has been here for a long time, its just getting better... better equipment doesnt not make better fishermen.. the fishermen that use it properly to locate more fish and learn fine tune their presentations become better fishermen.

As for another stating that they dont have a 4wd truck, but has much of the good equipment... I have the 4wd truck, ATV's... because I dont keep up with all the ice fishing equipment.. and my ATV is much more fun in July than a portable. There is limits to what a person really needs in the ice fishing world ... I cant say the same for OPEN water wink.gif

I think I know where your going there Im4t2amend I believe you need to undrstand that the dnr tends to keep a good eye on these things I think there was alot learned from url(upper red lake)not to say smaller lakes recieve the same attention BUT...20yrs. ago you could keep ohhh I believe it was 45sunfish 30 croppies 6walleyes 6northerns ...todays fisherman is bagging half that with slots &things....I personnally don`t believe that the gadgets and gizmo`s are a threat to our lakes as much as pollution&poaching some one correct me if I`m wrong but I believe when a fishery is in danger of being wiped out the dnr will step in ......and there was not much catch&release practiced back then if you take a little time and read some of the post you`ll find out it`s widely practiced now.....whayathink?

The limits have not been that high as long as I have fished and thats 55+ years. 15 Crappies, 30 Sunfish, 6 Walleyes, 6 Bass, & 3 Northerns when I started. That is in Mn, not sure what you had in cheese country.

well I may have embellished a little anyway the point is "I" don`t think we`ll be paying some guy to fish out of a bucket.....and I don`t know what the limits were here in "cheese country" 20yrs ago either being I moved here 1 1/2 yrs ago from minnesota and some people I don`t miss
tongue.gif

My point was only that people comment about the numbers of people increasing and the numbers of fish decreasing. It's only going to get worse as "technology" makes it easier for people to find that last fish.