• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scraches in gps screen

Pikemaster101

Question

15 answers to this question

I'm pretty sure they make some polishing compound for plastics, but make sure you buy the right one and follow the directions.

For this very reason, I buy screen protectors for all my things, GPS, Sonar, Cell Phone etc.

I've used Meguires Plastic Polish in the past and it worked great. That was on an lcd screen, not sure if you should use it on a ftf screen or not. It would probably work fine but you may want to check with the gps manufacturer just to see what they say.

If the screen is plastic try this simple tip. I used this on the plastic windshield of my motorcycle.

Spray it with Pledge furniture polish and polish with a soft cloth. If the scratches aren't too deep the polish will clear up the screen nicely.

Bob

If the screen is plastic try this simple tip. I used this on the plastic windshield of my motorcycle.

Spray it with Pledge furniture polish and polish with a soft cloth. If the scratches aren't too deep the polish will clear up the screen nicely.

Bob

Same thing I do on my boat windshield. Works good.

In the auto motive foram airjet posted about clearing up plastic head lite lens covers, maybe this would work on GPS screens too. They are both plastic. You could try his method in one corner of the screen too see if it works.

I've used Meguires Plastic Polish in the past and it worked great. That was on an lcd screen, not sure if you should use it on a ftf screen or not. It would probably work fine but you may want to check with the gps manufacturer just to see what they say.

I have never used this, but Bass & Walleye boats magazine recommends it.

I had some fairly bad scratches on my last Garmin. They were bad enough that I considered sending it in for a screen replacement. This may sound crazy but I used toothpaste on mine. I applied it with a soft, wet cloth and just rubbed, then repeated several times. It took some time and patience, but with persistence they came out well enough to be very acceptable. Maybe not perfect, but very much improved.

Thanks for the toothpaste tip. My H2o had alot of scratches on the screen to the point I was going to have it replaced. I took some Crest toothpaste from a squeeze bottle and placed it on a sock. I then rubed back and forth both ways and redid this about 30 times. I now have a screen that looks maybe better than new. Now, I will place a screen saver on it.

Again, thanks so much for a great tip.

Nick, just put a little toothpaste on and rub on it lightly and then repaste. I did it while watching TV in the evening and it really does come out nice. My screen is now almost like a mirror.

I bought my screen savers for my h20 and my 522 online. I just did a search for them.

One thing I've noticed with the screen saver is that it makes it really tough to read in direct sunlight (I have the color version) especially with sunglasses on. If I take the screen saver off, I can read it just fine. It's not an issue when on the ice because I'm not trying to follow a line etc., but in the boat I've had trouble.

Macgyver55 you are a flippin genius... in 5 minutes the screen on my Magellan hand held GPS went from terrible to like new condition. I wish I could post a before and after photo, its amazing. Just a small dab of UltraBrite toothpaste on a rag did the trick. Im gonna try it next on sunglasses, plastic windshield and even my favorite Neil Young CD that got scratched. Thanks for the great tip.