• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Torn ACL

MIKE IN lINO III

My lab came up lame Monday morning, we took him to the vet lastnight and they say that he tore his ACL.

They didn't take any x-rays just moved his knee around, does that sound about right? Should I get him x-rayed, would a torn ACL show up on a x-ray?

I'm looking at $750 to fix him up.

The wife let him out to do his duty Monday morning and he came back limping. We didn't see what he did but now he won't put any pressure on his leg. I checked for possible paw damage, cuts and scrapes but he is clean.

Any suggestions?

Thx,

Mike

If you want a second opinion bring him down to the U in St. Paul and you guys with your spendy hunting dogs(I am seriously jealous of all of you guys) should really get pet insurance for them it saves a lot of money in the end on all the pets problems.

you guys with your spendy hunting dogs

Toonuchfun, I didn't pay a dime for him. A guy at my old work said that he knew of someone that had to get rid of a pure bred black lab around 60 lbs. This was 7 years ago. I already have a springer and thought it would be nice to have someone for her to play with. When I went to pick him up it turns out that half his arse weighs 60 lbs. and he was not a pure bred but close. He wouldn't let me get near him at first. I was going to walk away from the deal but I already commited so I lifted him in the truck and about a mile down the road he was laying with his head in my lap and we have been joined at the hip since. He's had his moments but all in all he is a great dog, lots of character. It turns out somebody spent a lot of time training him and I just needed to bring that out of him. He turned into a good huinting dog and great companion. I can tell he is in pain and I need to get him fixed.

Thanks for the advice.

Mike

Mike,

Sorry to hear about your pup. As mentioned before, I would recommend you bringing him to the U of M Vet School. I dropped 7 grand last year on mine due some internal stuff and she is back to her normal self, ready for the hunting season. I also agree with the pet insurance part, I didn't have it then but have it now. Good luck with your decision and outcome.

I would assume your dogs has a ruptured CCL (cranial cruciate ligament). This is usually determined by doing a drawer test and to palpate the joint, along with visual symptoms (lameness). X-ray is not going to show you much of anything as CCL ruptures cannot be seen under X-ray. It can however tell if there is extra fluid in the joint....or if the joint is degenerating. I would assume the joint would not have degenerated if this just happened. This would not be much of a concern if you are going to be repairing it right away.

You can always get a second opinion...and with many big issues like this thats never a bad idea. However, I think there are many vets out there that can diagnose this and the U of MN may not necessarily be required as this is a common injury in labs.

$750 is cheap for a CCL repair....where did you get this price? I would assume it's the fishing line method? Rehab is the MOST important part following surgery.

As for insurance, it doesn't always save a bunch of money....but in a case like this it may. Make sure you check to see what the insurer covers. I think some may cover CCL injuries, but you would be surprised to find out what they don't cover. Any joint issues they consider hereditary are not covers. Hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, and other issue like this are often not covered as they are considered hereditary. There are some different providers out there that may cover more.....I only have experience with one (VPI).

Thanks Hemi,

Yes they did say it was the fishing line method. I took him to a vet on the "south shore" of Forest Lake.

As far as insurance, he's probably 11 or 12 years old so I don't know if insurance is an option. Do they insure older dogs?? I suppose the priemum would just be higher.

Thanks,

Mike

I think Chayce & I are gonna head west/south west towards the boarder either Friday night or early Saturday morning. Either way, we're gonna stay over somewhere & make a weekend of it. It's the first year he can carry a gun after taking the safety course late last year. Should be a good time, I'll probably just walk along with him & work the dog for the first day. I'm looking forward to it. If we get some birds,that'd be a bonus.

Bummer about the tickets, give Dale a call, he might be interested in buy'n 'em from ya.

HawgMan,

How did you do Pheasant opener??

It's been a week now since Cinder had the ACL surgery. I took him to the lake last weekend and made him pretty much stay in the cabin. He wasn't too happy about it. He is getting better every day, not as much of a limp. I was told to keep him calm for a couple of weeks then start his rehab.

Take care.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Sorry it took so long to respond. Chayce ended up getting strep throat Friday night & was running a temp all weekend so we didn't get to go at all. In fact he was outa school all week with it. He's feel'n better but not quite a 100%. I'm just glad we weren't sitting in a motel somewhere with the pain he was having.

Still plenty of season left though,we'll get out soon,gotta make the dog earn her keep! smile