• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting flywheel nut off (Motor Update!)

AaronM

Right now I'm working on a '73 Johnson SeaHorse 2hp to get it back up and running. This is my first real motor project and so far, it's the flywheel nut that's been giving me the worst problems. Any tips on getting it off? I don't have a flywheel puller but I'll head off to get a harmonic balancer if that's what it takes. Thanks for any tips!

nutts.JPG

A picture of the culprit

You may have to do some research or ask a mechanic but I learned the hard way one time working on a chainsaw that the flywheel nut (in that case it was the nut that held the clutch on) was left hand thread! I thought it was just super tight and really reefed on it and ended up stripping it out! Finally realized after that it was a left hand thread. Felt like a dummy afterwards but I guess that's how you learn. Not sure if left hand threads were ever used in this application so hopefully someone could let us know.

Alright, finally got the flywheel and nut off! Was excited to look under, see the coils were bad, replace and have a working motor. Instead we were greeted with below:

3.JPG

Turns out everything has been replaced before (not sure how recent). I wasn't getting spark, so is there a way to test each component out to see if something failed on me? ***The gap was at about .01 on the points, could that have been the problem?

Not being sure on what to do next, we took the powerhead off and inspected the driveshaft.

2.JPG

The underside of the powerhead was caked in oil and grease

1.JPG

Likewise, the housing and driveshaft (not pictured) were covered

The impeller was in perfect condition.

Any ideas on what the next step should be? Thanks again for the replies and looking forward to getting this back up and running!