• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how much can these lakes take

tonkapat

I have never seen so many musky fisherman consistantly pounding away as this year. Vermillion in july was a zoo. Metro has been rediculous for a while. how long will it take to turn it into junk. look at what bass tournaments have done to tonka. from setting b.a.s.s. records to whats left now. Is that where we are headed? how many released fish are dying? I don't think u can count on fishing getting any better soon. maybe time to start bass fishing again, there are less guys fishing for them on tonka then musky guys. good luck

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

these are some very valid and important questions, tonkapat.

fortunatly the metro solution is very easy.... we as muskie fisher's can't make our purchase of a fishing license the only ''donation'' we make to our sport to keep it sustained. by donating to the likes of M.I., and/for the DNR we can help ensure we can enjoy our sport forever without interuption. donations help stock lakes with adult fish as well as juviniles. it takes alot of money to feed and house a bunch of hungry muskie for a year or more. i'm just glad it's an easy fix. it's just money.

on a side note. i'm also happy the croix is so daunting for most. not only is it huge and unforgiving, but around here not too many places have houses cruising by continuously kicking up waves from H E doubletoothpicks, with only a few places to hide. pretty discourageing. ahhh bliss. cool

I'll continue to say that not many properly handled fish die. I can site some numbers from Wisconsin that state the number of fish is more closely related to the number stocked than angling pressure, and that's from a state where harvest is a little higher.

Man, this is what i've been preaching all year. I cannot believe how many boats I've seen at the same time pitching the big stuff. On WBL, on 1 side of the lake, i've counted more than 20 boats and on more than 10 occasions. The pressure is unreal, I almost feel bad fishing for these fish. Every one i've caught this year has had hook marks or lots of flesh damage from being caught previously.

It's not even really just muskies either. Fishing pressure around the metro in general is WAY up, I think thanks to gas prices. We will run this earth and it's resources into oblivion, it's only a matter of time.

I guess those people werent at the Muskie Expo listening to RK's seminar about the secondary spots... oh well.. times like this would be good to hit the secondary spots...

I think you're missing the bigger picture here reb....

I cant agree more w/ JRedig. I often wonder how much can these lakes take. How much longer? I do often feel bad for the fish and dont mind if they get off before they make the net or boat, many are really beat up and dont look good. Heres my opinion why i dont think it will be long until we are all really struggling to get fish, escpecially big fish. 1. Its not just Minnesotans fishing MN, its the whole upper Midwest now 2. Cowgirl, doesnt take much skill and kills alot of fish (back hook down the throat) 3. Too many fishing guides pounding these lake to a pulp every day (makes it tought for others) and giving up so much info on those trips (the client can really take that info and are already up to speed on location and lures).

I dont see many bass or walleye guys like i used too and often wonder how good bass and walleye fishing may become soon. W/o more lakes in my opionon, it wont be long till these lakes are toast. Lakes cant handle all the pressure, you have guys from all over the midwest, poor releases, awesome fish producing lures that dont take much skill, is my opionon why it wont be long till fishing muskie fishing really take a dive. I live in the metro, i do wish NE WI was a little closer and that may be the area w/ alot less pressure and good lakes to pick from????

It will be intersting to see if the changes we've seen on some of these lakes this year is biological or a result of pressure. I would think that any detrimental effects of pressure would be gradual, as some of the differences we're seeing are pretty stark compared to last year. We may never know for sure. I'm sure there are a few guides and other businesses that are pretty worried right now.

Be the first one to step up to the plate and stop fihsing these lakes. It is kind of like complaining about people speeding when you are doing 70 mph in a 55 mph zone. It seems if you are out on these lakes and pitching for the same fish then you are part of the problem.

I know it gets kicked around some and the logistics would be tough from and enforcement standpoint but wouldn't a muskie stamp help a bit with regards to this. It may not reduce the numbers of anglers a great deal but the extra $$ could be used to go back into the resource. I'd like to think that pheasant stamp $$ has helped with habitat etc. I buy a stamp every year even though my fat arse likes sitting in a duck blind more than stomping through fields.

There are a lot of guys and gals who like to fish - period. We live where you gotta shovel snow for 6 months so we all take advantage of the summer so it doesn't shock me that there's so much pressure. I guess I'm a big part of the problem - I have two little kids so heading out of town most weekends doesn't work for me right now. That said, when the water temps get close to the 80 mark and higher maybe its time to back off and give them a rest. I'm rambling a bit too much but until they put a ticket taker at each landing to limit access, fishing pressure is a fact of life so I think edcucating folks on the ethics of the sport, whether you're chasing muskies or bass is important.

Lastly I find it odd that I've only been checked once by a C.O. in the metro in the past 15 years and that was on the walleye opener. I fish less now than before I had kids, but I still get out 40-50 times per year mostly in the metro. I know most people are irritated when they are checked but I don't mind it a bit. With this much pressure on the lakes couldn't they help educate a lot more people and maybe even nail a bad guy or two?

-erik

It will come down to how much people are willing to spend in stocking operations to help maintain musky populations. However, we often wait untill there is a major problem instead of being proactive. If the populations are really affected it would take a few years for the fisheries to come around. From what I have heard it takes about 5 yrs for a musky to reach 32-34 inches.

With this much pressure on the lakes couldn't they help educate a lot more people and maybe even nail a bad guy or two?

With you all the way, I have never been checked. I have fished all over the place, rainy river, st croix, St Louis, WB, Bald Eagle, LOTW, V, Madison (WI), and alot of places in between. Probably 70-80 different bodies of water and never have been checked.(Most of the trips were for species other then musky. Musky fishing has only been an interest the last 3 summer/fall). Most of this musky stuff is new to me, still trying to get the hang of it.

I am hoping the twin cities and all of mn are proactive on this issue(I know some areas of MN are very good about being proactive on stocking operations). However, we often wait untill there is a major problem instead of being proactive.

The Twin Cities Chapter of MI (Shawn Kellett, et al) is the most proactive chapter in the state, if not the country when it comes to stocking.

They not only stock a lot of fish in the metro, but they were key in spearheading the approval of the long range esox plan that was approved and will add more muskie lakes to the mix.

I know the twin cities chapter is proactive, I have been to some of their events, they do great things for the sport of musky fishing. I was more saying as a state and a fishing community as a whole(everywhere there is musky fishing).

By no means was I bashing the twin cities chapter, just to make that clear...I have donated some of my own $$$ for the madison and twin cites chapters and plan do so in the future depite being a broke college student. We are all in this together...

browndog, your comment is almost too stupid to dignify a response, but a relatively small group of people are all working to make sure the larger group, everyone, has ample places to fish.

it's not selfishness on our part, quite the opposite.

thanks for your thoughtful comments though. this would have been a great thread about 8 months ago before the gull lake meeting and approval of the long range plan.

You are kinda of like the guy that catches and releases 100 walleye with a mortality rate of 10%(I am guessing the mortality rate is actually higher) and complaining about the fact that someone catches and keeps a limit of 6 once a year to eat. In the end you have killed 4 more fish but you feel more noble about yourself because you threw them all back.

I didn't realize that this thread was about muskie fishing. So now I really don't care.

You can't have it both ways.

With a great fishery comes great exposure, with great exposure comes pressure.

Remember everyone starts somewhere. Whether it is with gramps who fills the fish basket or alone learning the ropes.

All fisherman have the same rights to the same water. We are all equals.

Being proactive and educational towards the protection and future of any kind of fish is the biggest difference people can make.

So how many of you plan to vote "Yes" to the amendment this fall. So that more resources can be directed towards not only the health of the fish but the lakes also. I dont do alot of fishing but you can bet I will vote yes. If not....you reap what you sow

Thanks for the laugh at work today Brown, if bad logic and random numbers made kings I'd be bowing down right now.

I'm going to grab the concubines, jump in my royal carriage, and meet the rest of the noblemen at the lake. I've also found musky fishing is much easier when the peasants run the boat for you.

You can't have it both ways.

With a great fishery comes great exposure, with great exposure comes pressure.

Remember everyone starts somewhere. Whether it is with gramps who fills the fish basket or alone learning the ropes.

All fisherman have the same rights to the same water. We are all equals.

Being proactive and educational towards the protection and future of any kind of fish is the biggest difference people can make.

DTRO -

You're right on. I love fishing in general and recently have become pretty wound up about muskies (looks like your kitties are pretty fun though smile ) - the one thing that bugs me though is that some folks actually think they deserve the fish they catch more than the next guy... Its actually okay AND legal for someone who doesn't fish 100 days a year to go out and occasionally keep a few for a meal (I'm not talking about trophy muskies). Its also a good idea for his kids to see their dad put a few back in the water - they WILL do as they are taught.

Its no secret that we have some lakes with pretty good fishing so we need to think a bit of the bigger picture , just ask anyone who use to shoot ducks in the little potholes that have disappeared.

-erik

I think this has spread to more than just the metro. Take a look at mille lacs and how much pressure it recieved. Somehow it kept producing, but not now. You drive across the north end now and see 5 boats. Last year it would have been over 100. I think

Thanks Rebel, What are the closest options if you were at Gull. Alexander? or Mille Lacs and Cedar? I'm not real familiar with that area, I might be soon though.

I think everybody can thank the internet for anglers grouping up on certain lakes. There is plenty of water out there but when people are constantly hearing the same names pop-up they tend to flock there. I am all for more stocking and promoting catch and release. However, there is a lot of water out there and if everyone spread out it might be a more relaxing experience to fish around here.

By the way, anybody ever talk about stocking Big Marine?