• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

3-D lake maps

osakisresort

I have seen the 3D lake maps on ESPN for lakes and wondering if anyone knows if you can buy the software for minnesota lakes or of a company that you can send a map to and get a 3D map. Would really like to get one. Thanks for the help...

Hey FishingSys
Do you have a special CAD computer or software or anything, or could someone do this on their own computer??? Or where could i get software to do this on?? thanks

------------------

[This message has been edited by Paul Waldowski (edited 03-02-2004).]

I do 3-d modeling on the computer. I have modeled Long Lake and Lake Sylvia. They look neat on the screen & I've been thinking about having them made into a vacu-form mold or something similar to produce a 3-d map.
The process I used is time consuming though because I have to manually trace each contour line into the CAD. A lake like Minnetonka would take weeks to do!
I'm currently working on Lake Tetonka, It's got a lot of structure and should make a really neat 3-d image.
If anyone would like to see the 3-d map of Sylvia let me know, I can e-mail an .exe file that is the map with a built in viewer that alows you to rotate and zoom in on the map.

Al

[email protected]

I use a solid modeling program called SolidWorks. It's a mid-range CAD system so it runs on most any newer computer, but it costs around $5000.00 There are others out there for around $500.00, You might look at Alibre, they send out free demo's.
Let me know if you have a lake in mind to model.

Al

I kinda figured you wanted Osakis, once I realized your user name!
I could make Osakis, but the only map I have to trace is from the DNR HSOforum, and I'm not sure of the level of detail they have.

What do you have in mind for the resort?
I know a few ways to make this a part that could be used as a wall hanging or maybe a table insert. I will need to know how big you'd want the map to be to get the cost.
I'm going to finish Tetonka this week/weekend and then I'll start on Osakis.
Once it's done I'll post it on my web page.
We can talk more then if you like it and want to get one made.

Thanks for your interest, and thanks to everyone who replied to my e-mail. This started out as playing with a new feature of the Cad software and it's exciting to see reponse to it!

Al

[This message has been edited by FishingSys (edited 03-03-2004).]

FishingSys,

Thanks for the link to your site, pretty cool... would be even better with smoothing between the levels, but its still informative nonetheless...

Mayabe some of you folks have seen this before too, but there is a guy who comes to the Duluth sport show who does this on wood. i.e. he uses a router to carve the contours into wood, like as a plaque that you could hang on the wall or I have seen it done as a table top too. Really makes a nice looking product when its all done!

Thats some pretty cool stuff.

Mels sport shop in Spicer MN has a 3D Model of Green lake. Its sweet, the detail isnt all that bad and overall it looks good.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300
And keep those hooks sharp!

Fishingsys,
when you make a model, what scale do you use. This is pretty cool! For those of us who don't have imaginations for typical contour maps like me, I think this really gives a interesting look.

Thanks for all good comments. I set up Osakis really fast to give Osakisresort an idea of what it would look like. I would like to model in rock points and humps, (maybe if I get a commission!!)

I found a program that speeds up the line tracing process so I should have Tetonka done this weekend. Speaking of Tetonka; I travel through Waterville often and I think Tetonka is one of the most(make that "the most") beautiful lakes in the entire area and it has great structure that really makes for a cool 3-d image.

Ragnar,
The maps are traced from the DNR lake maps. The overall size is not controlled, but the depths used on the Osakis model are around 20:1 anything less and the image looks too flat (unless you zoom in close to one area.
After modeling these maps I can almost see regular contour maps in 3-d!

Anyway, the library of maps will grow so check back often. If you have a lake in mind let me know.
Click on my profile and the link to my page will be there.

Thanks again to everyone for the great response!

Al

[This message has been edited by FishingSys (edited 03-05-2004).]

FishingSys

I work for a civil engineering company and we use the ldd2 or land desktop overlay for AutoCad and I do the work you are doing all of the time. The way I do it though, is a bit different and alot easier, as I have used solid modeling in the past....You see you can download the lydar information (or contour lines) usually they are created from an aerial fly over survey with a plus or minus of 6" accuracy. Once you have this lydar information I can use the ldd2 to create a surface (takes about 10 minutes to create it) from there you tilt your view, add 3d faces and render it. You could probably have a whole lake done in a day easily. I'm not sure if you do this for a living or not, but you might want to look into doing it a different way...you could save yourself alot of time.

[This message has been edited by eyehunter (edited 03-05-2004).]

Mostly, I'll have it up this afternoon (maybe by the time you read this!).
It was one of those comprimise weekends, We put up Crown Moulding in our living room, so now I have trout opener!

Al