• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fall Reports 08

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve that's how they talk and type in Minnesota grin it's not just Dave it's Minnesotan's. cool If my knee felt better I would be wading tonight that's for sure I feel that cold front blowing in, this weekend could be the beginning of the fall run, stay tuned..

It's a bit early for the challengers gotta wait or hold your rod tip 10 o'clock high to keep them off the high weeds, thunder stick jr's, longcasts, shallow shad raps, if you can find em the Walmart renegade minnows, nice waggle at a super slow retrieve.

Easy there Jimbo or I'll force you to watch a Browns game grin

Hey Tim! We talked a few years ago...

We have low water here in MN (And, no, we don't all talk like that) so it's a challenge. I've been using the Walmart $1.97 specials, as well as the Challengers. Best so far has been a modified #8 Husky Jerk - if you pinch the nose loop into an oval and bend it down 30 degrees or so you can take a foot off the running depth. A side bonus is that it enhances the wobble.

Chuck

Chuck - I know Franky has been doctoring up some of his plugs too and since he had 4 the other night and all I could do was scratch this one after trapsing around the lake maybe he's found something. I caught this on a Kaboom and right after that I lost a nice big hefty walleye close to shore, dang thing sucked my plug right back in the back of his mouth and he took off with my Kaboom as well. mad

1001283gd1.jpg

Todd caught a nice one too on the pier. Waders had a life or death situation with the rollers coming in but I think they probably hit a few of Schnibs...

Nice fish! I caught 4 last night. Well, five really, but one was too big to keep (25" +) and I really didn't try too hard to get her in the net. The front treble stuck in the net and off she went. I also released one about 22". We can only keep one over 20".

Ever try a Berkley Firestick Minnow? You may want to. I got two on it in ten casts. One came on a silver/black Smithwick and two on a Bomber Long A.

Chuck - I have some firesticks but have not thrown them much I'll give em a go next trip.

Todd and I went out in the boat Friday night and didn't catch anything bait chock full in the canal, saw some pushing but no surfacing...

I was using Firetiger Firesticks. This is actually the first Firetiger lure I have ever had any luck with. We have large schools of emerald shiners on the surface at sunset- almost looks like a large area of water insects...until something eats one. The minnows disappear at dark.

Not too much to report from our end lately but that all changed today!

We have been archery hunting a fair amount and seeing and passing on some doe and Tank passed on a small buck the other night.

Today I targeted steelhead up north with a few buddies. We started off at the Oswego river in the morning. Very first drift of the morning with the float/centerpin set up and the float drops like a rock and im tight to a dime bright steelie.

pa232423ur0.jpg

We'll that jinxed us and the water also dropped like a rock and so did the fishing. Bobby, hooked and lost a small steelie an houtr later. Then an hour later I hooked and fought till near the net a nice brown of around 6 lbs. We bailed around 930 and headed to the Salmon river. First spot there and im into a nice steele within a few minutes. Got her subdued and released within a few minutes. Fished about 5 diff spots the rest of the day with nothing doing till about 5ish when Bobby got another solid fish. Shortlythere after my float drops mid-drift and im into a very large fish. She jumped once but we couldnt tell because of the sunlight and where the fish was if it was a large steelhed or a coho. Reguardless the hook pulled after she spanked me prety good.

Maybe a minute later my phone rings - this is good news as I see its Tank calling and since its still daylight, that means he caling from a treestand with probably good news. He's rather excited as he just had arrowed a good buck which we have been watching via trail-cams. He was positive he center-punched him and that he heard him go down. He climbed down and called me a few minutes later that he found him and it was the 8 pt we have been watching that has the telltale busted browtine. The deer weighed in at 174lbs. Solid for around these parts...

Tanks 90th archery kill...

pa232436sb4.jpg

I'll get some better pictures tomorrow plus show you guys some of the trail-cam picts from the past month...

Not the best day fishing but im closing the learning curve quickly on usage of the centerpin reel(fyi, centerpin reels are a reel designed for drifting floats in current, they have no drag and are a hoot)

And Dad capped the day off nicely...

Fished the preacher box with a slight soft south breeze at my back, wind was a bit stronger from the southeast when I left the lake tonight. Met a guy named Russ and a fellow named Chris he just got back from Lewis Pt. and there were about 7 guys wading out there and only 4 had fish, no limits. Chris caught two from there and tried to get one more at the bar with me before he went home. I saw two little 9' X 9' small shad bait pods by the confessional that was it. Went over to cozy corners and saw way more bait and there were a couple of eyes moving em about but no surfacing. I through the kitchen sink at em there before I went home and nothing. Well I didn't get skunked anyway and out of 3 guys I was the only one to catch a fish off the bar.

Kaboom!

1001285vh9.jpg

Heres a neat "before" picture of that buck that Tank put the hammer down on...

sunp0213pk9.jpg

Heres another trail-cam picture from last night of two smaller bucks. The time and date is wrong as each time you change out a memory stick the time and date goes back to a default setting and Tank forgot to update it...

sunp0291pz1.jpg

Good job Tank! Great pics DC i have a trail cam out and got some nice pics of goldenrod movement hope to catch up with it someday maybe make a nice salad wink

Another eventless night on the east shore my son Josh and I were there for a few hrs last night and not one bump ton of shad but no eyes frown

Those trail cam pics are pretty cool Jay. Nice chatting with you on the water last night Chris, nice bird and a cute puppy you got there, but like you posted it was an uneventful evening for Mr. Walleye. I didn't give up and put a lot of miles on and a lot of casts and it just wasn't happening. Idid catch a nice 3 lb. largie and Salmonseeker 73's dad got a whopper sheaphead. I just spent $111 on more Kaboom baits that;s all the fishing I'm doing for now maybe out again Monday will see. Tuzzy may or may not be in the barge canal tomorrow for his last run with the boat before he put's her away.

Nice job on the bird Chris, they are tough with the bow. I got to full draw on one the other day but neede him to take another step or two. Also passed on 2 small bucks. Probably should have stuck one to free up more fishing time...

I bet Chef Dougie could make that goldenrod taste good. Is he in hideing till ice up because of what happened to his Sox?

Nice job Timmy. Its been awhile since I've made an appearance at the Bar. Gas is to expensive and my time is limited these days.

Nice job on them sharks Jay and Jay's Dad smile

Looks like I wont be around much this winter so you guys will have to catch double the fish to make up for my absence smile

Nice fish and nice buck! Back for a couple of days and then off to Chicago . . .still have the cast, but am going to take a shot at a late pm hunt tomorrow to fill the doe tag . . . maybe. Then a trip to the lake to keep the muscles toned . . .maybe a fish or two might cooperate, but it does sound tough out there