• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lost ANOTHER one!

mjhowe

Well it happened again to me today, hooked into a big Kokanees salmon, this one going close to 5 lbs. He never shook his head once all the way up from about 60 feet down, Got him to the hole and his head was at one 10" hole and his tail was in the other 10" hole with about 8" between the two holes where the Vex was sitting. Something spooked him and he took off like a rocket, line screaming off the reel. Back and forth for about 3 minutes then, SNAP, the line between the pimple and the hook broke!

I am using quality line, but I am thinking that short line between the pimple and hook, about 6-8" is too short to really take the shock that the rest of the line can take. Does anyone think a heavier test there would kill the action of the hook? I dont want to add to the length cause they seem to like it that far apart. Is line that is sold as "leader" any differnt than the same line sold as "line"? This is becoming too often an occurence. Many locals firmly believe that the next state record Koke is gonna come out of this lake and I have already lost two monsters this year.

Whatcha guys think?

------------------
Mike
Kalispell, MT
<<><<
"LOOK ALIVE, MAGGOT!"
(Not you Pal, I was talking to my bait)

Or you can try Fireline.I use it alot and it works for me with the no stretch and sensitivity issues,also that you can get 10 lb. test in 4 lb diameter or something close too it.I don't use more than 2lb. test,anyways.

Just my .o2 cents worth...

CM

Are you using a swivel somewhere in your rig? I've never fished for Kokanees, but if they roll and/or twist maybe you're getting a kink in the line. Maybe that's what's snapping you off?

I guess I'm not that familiar with your set-up, either. Is that 6-8" a dropper line from the pimple?

Try backreeling instead of relying on your drag. Takes a while but you wil get the hang of it with practice. Try fireline with a swivel and then some Vanish for a leader. About a 2' leader should be fine. Dont tie directly to the pimple instead use a good quality snap. A fast action rod with a soft tip and good backbone will be good with the no stretch property of fireline.