• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spearing Decoys

Aktrapper

Hey everyone!
When I was growing up in Minnesota, you could buy spearing decoys in all the bait stores, sporting good stores and a lot of gas stations! (Are there still Holiday stations down there?) Anyway, can you still buy decoys that aren't "collectors" or hollow plastic, that don't cost an arm and leg? Can anybody help me out? I've got decoys that I brought up here 28 years ago, but they are showing thier age!! Drop me a line! Thanks!!!!!!

AKtrapper -

Ther is a show in Perham in late March or Early April that has decoy carvers from all over the upper midwest competing and selling their stuff. Lots of other things there as well.

Worth the trip if you are into the spearing thing.

I make my own. Chunk of cedar, a coffee can for snipping out fins from, an eye hook, some lead, and a little paint. Its a good off-season project, and I really get a charge out of having the slimers come in after one of my own creations.

Got one of those Dremel rotary tools for Christmas from Mrs. Zebich about 10 years ago, and it sure makes the "carving" a lot quicker and easier. I'd highly recommend one.

Two places around the cities that have them are Vados and SPortsmen's Wharehouse, however they charge a ridiculous amount, Vados had one that went for 36.99. To much for me, still cant beat the number two pine, wood stove in your house and not too many running that day. The satisfaction of having one come in on your own design is a feeling you soon don't forget.
Best Fishes
Chris

Hi all, go to "NFDA.TV" a good web site for the fishing decoy shows and all else going on. I think the Perham show is April 3 & 4. We just had a good show in Alexandria Feb 21st. Lots of people there but there will way more at Perham. Mike

i know of a person in my town of cold spring that makes awesome decoys that range from 6 inches to about 12 inches. the biggest one runs about 35 bucks but comes with a carrying case. if interested drop me an email at [email protected] and i can tell youmore. glenn57

RussDaBuss, yes there will be other things going and there will be a wealth of people there just plain talking about spearing. If you live close by and plan on going I'll see you there on Saturday, leave a post to let me know and we can go from there. Mike