• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

motor smoking

phins2

I have a 1994 60 hp mariner that loads up and smokes pretty bad after it is up in shallow water drive for a minute or so. The water is low on the approach to the lift and I have to tilt it up to make it on the lift. When I again reach open water and tilt it down it is loaded up and smokes until the oil is burned from the cylinders. It has done this a little since new, but nothing like this. Maybe this is normal, but I wonder.

When you tilt the motor you are changing the float position. As soon as you tilt back down, the excess gas runs into the throat of the carburator. Tho it may not happen to every motor every time, I would consider it normal. My Dad had a 70hp Evinrude that did it every time regardless of how I tried to adjust the float.