• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

In floor electric heat mats HELP

Stickjiggler

We are considering puting a heating mat in our bathroom. - Can they be put over vinyl or do I need to remove everything down to the cement?(basement)

- Any brand better than others.

- Looking at 110v @32"x64"

- Where to buy

Thanks for the help Guys and Gals. This site ROCKS

Andy

On your ques. I'd shop and read instructions,Most I know of state under flooring,But I've never really read close enough for your purpose.

Where would wireing run? How dangerous is exposed wires?

You need a speciality store where the employees know their stuff and the different products.Unless you install under flooring and follow instructions of whats out there.

Those mats are designed to go under the finished floor, specifically tile floors. Remove vinyl and get as much adhesive as possible off floor, install mat(s) and pour a self leveling underlayment and then istall tile. There is a primer you need to use first as well. You need to remove the vinyl to get the mortar or leveling to adhere to the concrete.

To answer your questions about in floor heat. If it is in the basement all you have to do is remove the old vinyl and adhesive. Then you can thinset the heat mat down and skim coat the top of the mat again with thinset. Wait for it to dry and then your ready for tile. The only heat mat that I would recommend is made by Nuheat and comes with a 25 year warranty. It's a little more expensive than what you would find at Home Depot or Menards, but the quality is superior to all other products.