• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's on my hands?

Ragnar

Not unless your a SHARK....jk

The only way i can see that your hands are stinky is if you spilled gasoline or oil,terpentine,or something else, would it effect your fishing.

If you wash your hands thoroughly,it should'nt.

Try smearing Bio-bait on your hands b4 you fish and i think you'll do just fine...lol

Just my .o2 scents worth...Punn intended!

CrappieMagnet

[This message has been edited by CrappieMagnet (edited 02-20-2004).]

Ragnar,
I have struggled with the scent issue also for years... pondering the question you present.
As a lad in TX, I use to wash my hands in the soil/mud banks of rivers & lakes to get rid of the human odors/smells on my hands.
For many years I washed my hands with no-scent soap (which I also marketed after my success in using it).
Truth is I figured I "smelled".
I even went so far as to wash my baits.

A trip to Canada cured me of the "fobia".
I caught over 200 walleyes in one day... and not only did I not wash my hands, I also dipped my jig in the gas tank (a stunt I once saw Gary Nordly do demonstraiting that gas would not turn off active Bass)! And I continued to catch fish on it, after being drenched in petro. Course, the fish were sight feeding! And would hit anything that moved on that day.
But... ever since I have mellowed out.
I realize all lures have the human "elsirene" smell allong with paint and oils from the mfg process. I gave up on the idea of "keeping it clean".

I did use scent to cover orders. I mostly used Kick-n Bass's scents. They make a great garlic scent that I did squirt into my plastics bags, using it as an atractor and cover. Kick-n Bass Garlic will make you smell just like you ate at the Olive Garden... but has caught me more fish using it on my plastics.
But... that was before Bio-Bait!
I am thrilled with that product now and have not picked up the scent bottle for some time! Kinda into the attractor mode instead of the cover up mode.... though Kick-n Bass is made of real fish oils and will attract also. I do not like smelling like a resturant all day... when I do not have to!
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

Ok I'll agree that sometimes It just doesn't matter, but have you ever had a women in your shack or boat and have them totally outfish you. I mean, my wife is rubbing all kinds of lotions and dump on her hands and destroys me. What's up with that?

Hey Ragnar - the next time the Mrs. is in the shack would be a good time to test all these different ideas smile.gif I prefer to pinch the head off a minnow and kind of squish it a little before I rinse my hands off. Works for me. And a fella I know that guides on LOW swears that WD-40 has to be sprayed on everything. And we caught tons of fish that day.

PS - Has the Mrs. had a meal of walleye yet? I saw on the Walleye Retreat HSOforum that they were catching the 17-18 inchers the day after we left smile.gif

Re: WD40, I have heard of people purposely using this on their bait (illegal) because it is made of basically the same components as some expensive "lure attractant" sprays on the market.

Re: Women's hands, I have also heard of one guide who, when his wife is in the boat, she is the only one allowed to bait the hooks. He claims there is something about the "scent of a woman" that attracts fish. She too consistently outfishes him if he baits his own...

True Story...

Shake'em

I was having a fabulous ice season until I bought a power auger three weeks ago. No matter what I do, I still get a little gas on my hands. I've caught very few fish ever since. Every time out on three different lakes it's the same story, plenty of fish coming in to take a look and then swimming away hungry. Could be the time of year or maybe Karma, but I'm bringing the scent shield soap. Used it on the dog last summer when she caught a skunk. One wash and rinse is all it took.

Hey Raven, How they biten?
Fishface5, no i'm not. Some cheese heads nicknamed me that after I had to explain who Ragnar was. You know how it is, you never get to pick your own nickname. I liked it and thought I would keep it.
Raven, the Mrs. and the no good bro inlaw had their fish fry one night while I was at darts. She said the really enjoyed it. Sorry about the late response, I hadn't check the site until late last night.