• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Auger??

pkwalleye

If you want to go real cheap - buy a Strikemaster Lazer Hand auger. I use one for early ice and it will cut 6-12 inches in under a minute. New they are $80, you can probably get one used for around $50. Bonus is they are pretty light if you are going on foot.

If you are looking to go power auger, I don't think you will find anything new for under $300. D-Rock in New Brighten sells used Stikemasters (leftover from tournaments so are already broke in), that are as good as new and are certified SM service, so will back the product if you have any issues. Otherwise you can look at buying used from the multitude of on-line classified adds (including FM's of course).

Check your local pawn shop or hsolist. At the pawn shop you may have to ask to see them in back this time of year. You can find some really good deals on used augers.

I like Strikemaster. Jiffy is popular too. It's like a ford vs. chevy thing. I had a bad experiance with Jiffy and I love my Strikemaster. Get a 2HP motor. The 3HP are too heavy IMO.

sometimes carry overs will be on sale in "the back room" if you dont see any augers out just ask and see if they have ne left from last year. If the augers change in ne way they usually sell the old ones a little cheaper to get in the new and advertised augers.

You could go the route I did and watch local auctions. I picked up a used MagIII plus last summer for $40. It's an old model but in perfect shape, and worked without a hickup all last year. Not as fast as the newer models but I have an extra $200 in my pocket that says I don't care.