• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wisconsin Hunting Law Questions

I am a Minnesota resident who is going to start hunting Wisconsin. I am trying to get up to speed on the hunting laws.

Questions:

It appears that all hunting is illegal for youth under 12 years of age - even small game, grouse and ducks. Am I reading this correctly?

Non-resident youth 12-17 can purchase a $36 Junior Sports license and fish, hunt small game, and hunt deer with a firearm but if they want to bowhunt deer they have to buy the $160 non-resident archery license. Is this correct?

Does Wisconsin have any similar programs like Minnesota is starting this year which allows 10-11 year olds to hunt deer as long as they are in arms reach of an adult?

A grandson still must buy a small game license to hunt his grandpa's land in Wisconsin?

Thanks for any info.

I could answer some of your questions but I'm afraid I might give you some wrong advice. They change the regs so much that I think you'd be better off going here:

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/

If you can't find the info you want, don't be afraid to give them a call or send them an email. They've always been great at answering any questions I've had in the past.

Thanks for the leads guys. I've been on the DNR HSOforum and think I'll give the hotline a call. I've had a tough time keeping up with all the Minnesota law changes over the years and keeping 2 sets of laws straight will be even more of a challenge.

From what I understand on the DNR HSOforum/regs:

You must be 12 years of age to hunt anything. For deer hunting they must be within sight and voice contact of an adult.

Non-residents need to buy a bow license, not included in the junior sports license.

For small game they need a non-resident license unless they are a sibling or child of the landowner.

Hope this helps, later.

Cooter,

This is how I am reading the regs too. I guess the biggest question I have (and am going to confirm with the DNR) is the law that youngins cant hunt anything until they are 12. I've been bringing my son along consistantly (in Minnesota)so he might be ready to hunt deer by the time he is 12(mentally, emotionally, and mainly safetywise). He started out tagging along with me at 4 or 5 carrying a Daisy BB gun then graduated to a pellet gun at around age 7. Last year, at age 9 he was ready for a single shot 20 gauge and managed to drop 3 ducks and rolled some snowshoe hares. My inlaws have some acreage north of Rhinelander with some grouse on it this year - would like to bring my son over to see if he can get a couple, but at age 10, looks like he will have to wait. Seems a little strange that all hunting would be illegal until age 12. How do you bring a kid along slowly to get him ready to hunt big game by the time he's 12? Anyways, I'm going hunt with the inlaws this year for firearms deer season. Since I am hunting with her folks, my wife is OK with me adding the Wisconsin firearms season onto my Minnesota hunting. Looking forward to it!