• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bulk mulch?

311Hemi

Anyone have any recommendations in the north metro to buy mulch in bulk?

I need at least 3 yards. Local retailer is around $36 buying in 2 cu ft bags.....and buying at local landscape places is more than that....which I can't understand. One place wanted $58.5/yard ($6 2 cu ft bag) for red cedar mulch, another place wants $49.

Why the big price difference...in bulk none the less.

I have always found its cheapier to buy in bulk not bags. Try your small local garden center. Avoid a certain big name out of Plymouth, they are the most expensive place for any landscape supply because they have it all.

If nothing else Patio Town shouldnt be too pricey.

When a customer asked for red cedar this spring the price at HD for bags was better than the local wholesale mulch place. Contractor price, too. The cedar in the bags looked nice. The cedar at the wholesale place was very fine, likely double ground. Some nice dark shredded hardwood was $18 a yard, but that red cedar stuff was spendy. Sorry, I can't remember the price right now, think it was $48 a yard. West metro.

Hemi, are you looking for fancy mulch or just mulch? If just looking for a cheap cover, you could try checking in to a tree service company in the area. Many of them have piles sitting around from their recent cuts and can be puchased real reasonable or possibly free if you have a pickup. Just a thought.

Thanks for the info guys. My wife is worried about getting mulch from compost sites or places where diseased trees may have been chipped up. Not sure if that's a warranted concern or not......but I want to keep her happy either way since she finally just got the rest of her plants in the ground. She spent good amount of time/money on the new gardens.....I would hate for anything to happen to them and having her say I told you so!!! LOL

I will call the place in Blaine tomorrow...otherwise the box stores are the cheapest I have found ($35/yard for red cedar).

There was a piece on the news a while back about some of the big box retailers taking all the stuff they had lying around and chipping it up. The concern was treated wood that had aresenic in it. I don't know if they problem has been dealt with our not but I would be cautious about buying from the big guys. There's probably a reason why the're cheaper and it may not have to do with they ability to buy in bulk.