• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I will be in Destin Florida week of Oct 7-12th. What to look for?

Paul

Guys I will be spending my honeymoon in Destin Florida the week of October 7-12th. Destin for those of you unfamiliar is on the Norhtern Coast of the Gulf of Mexico. Anyone done any birding here? I know there are some trails around there but not sure what to look for specifically I guess. Any one have any suggestions?

Sorry, Paul, I've birded a number of times along the Gulf Coast of Texas, but not as far east as Florida.

You'll probably by that time be seeing some familiar faces, as the early to mid migrants from our own area already will be showing up there. But of course any coastal/marsh areas should also offer plenty of chances at shorebirds that don't come this far north. Make sure you bring the best birding guide you have, and be ready for anything.

The best images of shorebirds generally are captured with the photographer on his belly. Hope the new Mrs. understands a photographer's priorities. My advice on the birds is shoot first, ask ID questions later! gringrin

We have been on hurricane watch also. Everyone has pretty much just missed Destin/Fort Walton Beach Area. I check with Dee Dee a while back and she is a long way from there after I told here were it was. We wil be spending one day in Mobile Alabama at Mobile Bay then down the coastal highway to Destin/Ft Walton. I am really hoping to get some shots fo Flamingos or something exotic.