• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So who's going grousin'

HAha, yep BDR, the "one-who-thinks-I-am-silly" look is becoming more and more common on Gauge's face. As he gets better and better I get worse and worse!

Did you get Charlie out? How's he doing?

Would be good to get Charlie and Gauge back together in the woods or maybe the field this time!

Some of the better hunting I've seen in awhile. Went out on sunday just west of Grand Rapids. No dog. Just me and my college roomate. Saw tons of birds. Put 5 down. Then went out on Monday,and put one more in the fridge. You kind of forget how good grouse are after all spring and summer grin.

yea..it was really hot, thats why I only was out for two hours instead of searching for the fifth bird. I have not noticed any ticks yet up here on me or the dog, I'm sure they will be out soon. anyways off to go find some more grouse..I will report later

Made it out today around Bemidji for 3 hours or so with the GSP's. We had 7 solid points, 12 flushed birds, and 4 birds downed. Should have had 6, but my partner and I each tossed some defective lead.... wink

It was hotter than all get out today, we tried to work the morning over to stay cool and keep the dogs cool, but it was impossible. We could only hunt areas near ponds where I knew the dogs could cool down. This "fall" is ridiculous, we need some frost!

On a positive note, 7 of the birds we bumped into were in a single covey. Very nice to see, and wow, what an adventure watching the dogs point, re-adjust, point, retreive, lock up again, etc... Once I had two on the ground I sat back and watched the madness. Impressive year for the dogs, and I think I'm enjoying them more than the taste of ruffies this season!

Pic from today, near some very cool 'shrooms we ran into on a trail... dsc03654nu3.jpg

Report from the north side of Vermilion. A friend of mine and I hunted a few remote spots on the north side of the lake. Not a lot of luck but nice trying new spots. We flushed four birds in a couple hours in the morning and one hour in the evening. Great country/cover, but it didn't seem like there were a lot in the area.

Another tick note...I romped around with my 1 year old setter at Mille Lacs WMA...only found two ticks. I probably would have found out 50 on him last year in that same spot. I'm not complaining, but I wonder why they're down? Also, none around the Vermilion area.

Was out Saturday morning (Solona STF) until the heat kicked in, not very long. Saw 6 grouse and couple of woodcock. Couple of great points, couple of poor shots...

Stopped yesterday morning (Mille Lacs WMA) on my way home for a short walk, nothing.

No ticks on me or the pooch. That is rather odd. Good, but odd.