• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lawn tractor help

fasternu

OK everyone, I need help. I was mowing my lawn, and shut it off like I normally do. About 2 weeks later I went to mow the lawn, and when I turned the key, nothing.

I checked the battery, which was fine. I thought maybe the solenoid went bad, so I replaced it. Still dead when I turn the key. However, I noticed that when you jump the solenoid, it fires right up. I thought the ignition switch was bad, but when I replaced that, same old result, NOTHING.

I have it torn apart, looking for fuses, etc, but can't seem to pinpoint the problem. Any advice on what to look for? I just can't figure it out. I may need to just jump the solenoid to start it up so I can mow the jungle in my yard!

Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

it could be a couple things. Check your battery connections. Clean them good and make sure they're tight.

Follow your wiring through the machine. Look for any loose or broken connections. By jumping the solenoid, you're more than likely by-passing a bad connection/blown fuse.

What kind of mower is this? That might help incase someone has the same mower.

It's an MTD rider. I checked the battery connections and cleaned them. I was discounting the safety switch on the seat because when I jump the solenoid it still only starts while sitting on it. Would it start by jumping the solenoid if the blade engagement switch was bad? I have been looking for fuses, but only found one, and it was OK. It's got to be something simple... Thanks everyone, I'll keep trying and let you know what it turns out to be.

Excuse my lack of mechanical terminology but I had this problem with my Murray rider. I found that the worm gear thing on top of the solenoid was sticking. Whatever this is called needs to spin upwards for ignition. I just worked it up a few times and lubed it and it has worked ever since. I am sure some of the other guys on here know what I'm talking about and if I remember right this "gear" is somewhat separate from the starter/solenoid.

Can't be the bendix gear, it's a sealed solenoid. Starter cranks just fine when I bypass the solenoid. Tried 2 different solenoids, so I know that can't be the problem. Everything works fine, just won't crank with the key. Tried a new ignition switch, didn't help. I even checked the ground wire, to no avail. I just looked up the electical schematics on the web, and it only has 1 fuse, which looks normal, so it can't be that. I guess I'm just going to have to take it in. It can't be something more than a $5 piece somewhere. Any more clues?

We had a bad key switch in one of the ZTRs a couple of years ago.

We'd just jump the starter off of the solenoid as well, but this also jumped past all of the safety swtiches.

My dad has a pair of boots without the toe in the right boot, because he was jumping the mower and the PTO switch was still on, which caused the blades to spin immediately.

Needless to say, depending on how your mower is wired, you may be able to jump the starter without having any effect from the safety switches, yet not start it from the key, because the safety switch is bad.

Nothing when you turn the key.

Can jump and start if your sitting on the seat.

Normal starting routine is:

Sit on the seat.

Check to see if the PTO is disengaged.

Press the brake.

Turn the key.

We know the seats switch is good.

I'm guessing your brake switch is bad or bad connection.

Unplug the switch and plug it back in. Look to see that the switch is being activated when you press on the brake, could be an adjustment. Still know go, use a jumper on the plug.

Next would be the PTO switch. Unplug it, clean and plug it back in.