• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Regulation Change Article From The Star Trib.

Shack

I know most know of these and I always recommend to look at the regs on-line or in the real book, but the Tribe has broke down some of the changes.

Quote:
The rules afield have changed

Last update: September 9, 2008 - 7:07 PM

There are plenty of new hunting regulations this year. Be sure to get -- and read -- a copy of the DNR's 2008 hunting and trapping regulations handbook for details. Here are some key ones:

• The minimum age to hunt big game, including deer, has been reduced to allow 10- and 11-year-olds to hunt. They will have to be under "direct supervision" of a parent or guardian, who must be "within immediate reach" of the youth. Big game taken by the youths must be tagged with the license of the parent or guardian.

• People ages 12 to 15 can now apply for moose and elk hunts.

• The law prohibiting hunters from baiting deer has been clarified. The new definition of bait or feed includes "grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts, hay or other food that is capable of attracting or enticing deer and that has been placed by a person." A person hunting on private or public land adjacent to land that was baited is not in violation if he has not participated in, been involved with or agreed to the baiting.

• Hunters no longer will have to validate (notch) their deer licenses when they harvest an animal, though they still must validate their site tags.

• A law requiring grouse hunters to be at least 20 yards from a vehicle was repealed. It's still illegal to transport an uncased firearm in a vehicle or ATV, or to shoot from a vehicle or ATV.

• The bag limit for pheasants will increase late in the season. The two-bird daily limit will increase to three, and the six-bird possession limit will increase to nine from Dec. 1 to the end of the season, Jan. 4.

• The minimum cartridge requirement for big-game hunting now is a centerfire .22 caliber.

• Beginning March 1, 2009, residents under 16 must obtain a free license to hunt small game.

• People hunting small game with nontoxic shot are no longer exempt from blaze orange requirements.

• State duck and pheasant stamps no longer need to be signed to be valid.

DOUG SMITH

.22's for big game yeah it could be done but is it responsible? Who brought up this change and why? I think it is a poacher's cartidge.

Sorry about the negative post,but it's never a bad idea to thoroughly question new laws and find the loopholes and unexpected ramifications. Hans

Take a closer look. It's a .22 centerfire, not rimfire. I bet you could search forever and not find a .22 centerfire. Basically what that law did was allow varmint guns to be able to be used hunting big game. The balistics are much different using a .223 centerfire and a .22 rimfire. Of course, proper shot placement is still needed much like with a larger gun but a .223 is still plenty to bring down a deer.

I failed to take a closer look. So my "thoroughly need to explore every new rule" quote from above-has just been proven.

Thanks for the heads up BGB. There is a huge diffence in performance between the two.

I'm a huge 257 Roberts fan for whitetails and there is little practicle differance between that pee shooter and a .223

.22 long rifle rimfire isn't even close. Hans