• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Non-Fishing Ice Activities

WalleyeDundee

I'm leading an ice fishing event at my church in a few weeks and am looking to get some ideas of other non-fishing activities that could keep people occupied if the fishing is slow. I've considered frisbee and football, but I'm looking for something a bit more unique.

Too bad there isn't a sauna around. We could have a polar plunge. grin.gif

If the snow is off like here, I've heard of golf on the ice using a tennis ball. Best for kids, and adult might let one rip and hit someone fishing but a tennis ball really can't do any damage and won't sink if it goes in a hole. Ice skating is also popular. Just got to keep it close to the shore and away from holes. We don't get the snow cover here in SD that most of you do though.

Great Ideas! A couple questions...

Bocce Ball: How do you keep the ball from going down the holes?

Golf w/ Tennis Ball: Any suggestions on obstacles, traps, etc. How long do you typically make each hole? This sounds pretty cool.

Shuffle Board: How have you painted the triangle?

Here is a game we invented one day when the tipup flags weren't flying, and being young guys, we got a bit bored; nobody had a frisbee or anything, but one guy had a bowling ball... Drill two holes about 50 feet apart, only a few inches into the ice. Two teams, one at each hole. Take turns rolling the ball back and forth. One point if you hit the hole and it lips out, 2 if it settles into the hole. On bare ice you have to roll it very slooowly to get it to drop in the hole. CH

The golf idea is a good one for all ages. Drill some holes part way through the ice and set up a course and use tennis balls. I think some people use hockey sticks instead of clubs. I believe the event was held on Chub Lake in Carlton this year. Companies sponsor holes and they come up with some pretty neat ideas for each hole. Sometimes you have to tee off from a toilet, a saddle, or some other creative thing. They even bring in small trees and put them in the ice along each fairway.