• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hows it going for bear in northern minnesota

Just wondering how people are doing in Northern Minnesota, specifically LIttlefork/International Falls area ???

We have four stations out ... all getting hit... I think one is a roamer and I think most of them are night bears. Still have time to get one so hopefully one of those night bears will decide to come out a little earlier to eat.

Would love to hear how you are all doing this year.

I believe it. I've got nothin' so far near Virginia. I have a pic of one at the bait on Sept. 2 at 4 AM and my other baits haven't been touched.

Talked to a bear guide near Kabetogama/I Falls area last night. They have gotton some bear, but have put forth lots of effort to locate and keep them hitting. Lots of forage left in the woods was his comment, so things are slower.

We are hunting the Int'l Falls area. There are still berries out in the woods. Wondering if that is detering the on and off bait hits. Hopefully as time goes on the hunting will get better. Wonder if the bear population is down or what is going on.

Lots and lots of natural food. The last weekend in August I picked a small bucket of raspberries in a clearcut I walked through, but I could've been there for days....raspberries as far as you could see...big, fat ripe ones. Not to mention the blueberries and hazelnuts as Dock Boy mentioned. I'm sure if there were oak trees in my area, they'd be dropping tons of acorns as well.

We ended up with 1 hunter that hunted 3 nights that did not get a shot but he had trouble seeing in dim light and was out of the woods real early each night. Everybody else got a shot. It was/is a different year. Good old reliable sites didn't do much while sites that have never been very good had multiple bear hitting them. Our average weight is way down. frown Some hunters were impatient and took the first bear that came by and the hunters that had chances at real big ones missed their shots. There are a lot of chokecherries out there yet in this area. Everything seems to be 3 weeks later this year. The real strange thing around here this year is that the bear are not hitting the cornfields.

We ended up with 1 hunter that hunted 3 nights that did not get a shot but he had trouble seeing in dim light and was out of the woods real early each night.

Gotta love that hunter, he hunted hard just couldn't see well. I had to laugh one night. Kelly and I wait in close proximity of our hunters so we can react quickly to a downed bear or emergency if one would happen. When the start of that majic time when bear start to show up I rolled down my window to listen for shots and there was the hunter standing along side my truck ready to go home. confusedsmile

All in all a good season with alot of happy hunters and one fustrated but happy hunter going home to take a good hard look at his bow sights. blushlaugh